Using the framework method for the analysis of qualitative data in multi-disciplinary health research
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: The Framework Method is becoming an increasingly popular approach to the management and analysis of qualitative data in health research. However, there is confusion about its potential application and limitations. Discussion. The article discusses when it is appropriate to adopt the Framework Method and explains the procedure for using it in multi-disciplinary health research teams, or those that involve clinicians, patients and lay people. The stages of the method are illustrated using examples from a published study. Summary. Used effectively, with the leadership of an experienced qualitative researcher, the Framework Method is a systematic and flexible approach to analysing qualitative data and is appropriate for use in research teams even where not all members have previous experience of conducting qualitative research. © 2013 Gale et al.; licensee BioMed Central Ltd.
CitationGale, N.K., Heath, G., Cameron, E., Rashid, S. & Redwood, S. (2013) Using the framework method for the analysis of qualitative data in multi-disciplinary health research, BMC Medical Research Methodology, 13(1), 117. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-13-117
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
JournalBMC Medical Research Methodology
PubMed ID24047204 (pubmed)
Description© 2013 The Authors. Published by BMC (Springer Nature). This is an open access article available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-13-117
SponsorsAll authors were funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) through the Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care for Birmingham and Black Country (CLAHRC-BBC) programme.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Licence for published version: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
- Using the framework method for the analysis of qualitative data in multi-disciplinary health research.
- Authors: Gale NK, Heath G, Cameron E, Rashid S, Redwood S
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 18
- Hearing the voices of service user researchers in collaborative qualitative data analysis: the case for multiple coding.
- Authors: Sweeney A, Greenwood KE, Williams S, Wykes T, Rose DS
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Co-researching with people with learning disabilities: an experience of involvement in qualitative data analysis.
- Authors: Tuffrey-Wijne I, Butler G
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Evaluating meta-ethnography: systematic analysis and synthesis of qualitative research.
- Authors: Campbell R, Pound P, Morgan M, Daker-White G, Britten N, Pill R, Yardley L, Pope C, Donovan J
- Issue date: 2011 Dec