Assessment of student nurses in practice: a comparison of theoretical and practical assessment results in England.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study was undertaken in response to concerns raised by Duffy (2003) that assessors of practice were reluctant to fail student nurses in assessments. This generated doubts about the fitness to practice of some registered nurses. An investigation was undertaken into whether quantitative evidence supported the view that pre-registration nurses rarely failed practical assessments. Comparative failure rates from theoretical and practical assessments were requested from all 52 universities in England that offered pre-registration nursing programmes. Responses were received from 27. Findings indicated that a very small proportion of students failed practical assessments; failure rates for theory outstripped practice by a ratio of 5:1. A quarter of universities failed no students in practice. Students were most likely to fail in year one and least likely in year three. This study supports the belief that assessors of practice are reluctant to fail student nurses. It raises a number of questions about the influence that the systems and practices of professional bodies and universities have on practical assessment. However it also indicates that some student nurses have failed practical assessments and that some universities do have systems in place to address this issue.
CitationAssessment of student nurses in practice: a comparison of theoretical and practical assessment results in England. 2012, 32 (4):351-5 Nurse Educ Today
JournalNurse education today
- An evaluation of fitness for practice curricula: self-efficacy, support and self-reported competence in preregistration student nurses and midwives.
- Authors: Lauder W, Watson R, Topping K, Holland K, Johnson M, Porter M, Roxburgh M, Behr A
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Failing securely: The processes and support which underpin English nurse mentors' assessment decisions regarding under-performing students.
- Authors: Hunt LA, McGee P, Gutteridge R, Hughes M
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- An evaluation of educational preparation for cancer and palliative care nursing for children and adolescents: issues in the assessment of practice arising from this study.
- Authors: Hale C, Long T, Sanderson L, Carr K, Tomlinson P
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Just how bad does it have to be? Industry and academic assessors' experiences of failing to fail - A descriptive study.
- Authors: Hughes LJ, Mitchell ML, Johnston ANB
- Issue date: 2019 May