Influence of co-administrated sinomenine on pharmacokinetic fate of paeoniflorin in unrestrained conscious rats.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsLiu, Zhong Qiu
Wong, Yuen Fan
Chan, Kelvin C.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPaeonia lactiflora Pall. (Ranunculaceae) root and Sinomenium acutum Rehder and Wilson (Menispermaceae) stem are two herbs widely used in Chinese medicine to treat rheumatoid arthritis. While, in theory, either herb could be used alone, in practice, Chinese medicine practitioners prescribe them together. Studies on pharmacokinetic interaction between the active constituents of these two herbs (paeoniflorin and sinomenine, respectively) provide empirical evidence to support their clinical practice. A single dose of paeoniflorin (150 mg/kg) alone and with sinomenine hydrochloride (90 mg/kg) was administered by gastric gavage to unrestrained conscious male Sprague-Dawley rats (n=6, 250-300 g). Blood samples were collected periodically via a jugular vein before and after dosing from 10 min to 12 h. A high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) assay was developed to determine the plasma concentrations of paeoniflorin. Non-compartmental pharmacokinetic profiles were constructed by using the software PK Solutions 2.0. The pharmacokinetic parameters were compared using unpaired Student t-test. After co-administration of sinomenine, the peak plasma concentration of paeoniflorin was elevated (P<0.01), the peak time was delayed (P<0.01), the AUC(0-t) was increased (P<0.001), the mean residence time (MRT) was prolonged (P<0.01), the C(L) was decreased (P<0.01) and the V(d) was reduced (P<0.05). These results indicate that sinomenine hydrochloride at 90 mg/kg significantly improved the bioavailability of paeoniflorin in rats.
CitationJournal of Ethnopharmacology, 99(1): 61-67
CollectionsMolecular Pharmacology Research Group
- Pharmacokinetic interaction of paeoniflorin and sinomenine: pharmacokinetic parameters and tissue distribution characteristics in rats and protein binding ability in vitro.
- Authors: Liu ZQ, Jiang ZH, Chan K, Zhou H, Wong YF, Bian ZX, Xu HX, Liu L
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- The effects of sinomenine on intestinal absorption of paeoniflorin by the everted rat gut sac model.
- Authors: Chan K, Liu ZQ, Jiang ZH, Zhou H, Wong YF, Xu HX, Liu L
- Issue date: 2006 Feb 20
- Comparative pharmacokinetic study of paeoniflorin after oral administration of pure paeoniflorin, extract of Cortex Moutan and Shuang-Dan prescription to rats.
- Authors: Wu H, Zhu Z, Zhang G, Zhao L, Zhang H, Zhu D, Chai Y
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 25
- [Influence of glycyrrhizin on paeoniflorin pharmacokinetic fate in unrestrained conscious rats by intravenous administration].
- Authors: Li N, Chen X, Han D, Yu X, Su Y
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- [Determination of paeoniflorin in rat plasma by HPLC-MS/MS and its pharmacokinetics].
- Authors: Wu J, Yao N, Wang DW
- Issue date: 2008 Oct