The hepatitis B virus X protein activates nuclear factor of activated T cells (NF-AT) by a cyclosporin A-sensitive pathway.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Armesilla, Angel Luis
Majano, Pedro L.
Redondo, Juan Miguel
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe X gene product of the human hepatitis B virus (HBx) is a transcriptional activator of various viral and cellular genes. We recently have determined that the production of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) by HBV-infected hepatocytes is transcriptionally up-regulated by HBx, involving nuclear factor of activated T cells (NF-AT)-dependent activation of the TNF-alpha gene promoter. Here we show that HBx activates NF-AT by a cyclosporin A-sensitive mechanism involving dephosphorylation and nuclear translocation of the transcription factor. Luciferase gene expression assays demonstrated that HBx transactivates transcription through NF-AT-binding sites and activates a Gal4-NF-AT chimeric protein. DNA-protein interaction assays revealed that HBx induces the formation of NF-AT-containing DNA-binding complexes. Immunofluorescence analysis demonstrated that HBx induces the nuclear translocation of NF-AT, which can be blocked by the immunosuppressive drug cyclosporin A. Furthermore, immunoblot analysis showed that the HBx-induced activation and translocation of NF-AT are associated with its dephosphorylation. Thus, HBx may play a relevant role in the intrahepatic inflammatory processes by inducing locally the expression of cytokines that are regulated by NF-AT.
CitationThe EMBO Journal, 17(23): 7066-7077
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- The hepatitis B virus X protein binds to and activates the NH(2)-terminal trans-activation domain of nuclear factor of activated T cells-1.
- Authors: Carretero M, Gómez-Gonzalo M, Lara-Pezzi E, Benedicto I, Aramburu J, Martínez-Martínez S, Redondo JM, López-Cabrera M
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 1
- Hepatitis B virus X protein transactivates inducible nitric oxide synthase gene promoter through the proximal nuclear factor kappaB-binding site: evidence that cytoplasmic location of X protein is essential for gene transactivation.
- Authors: Majano P, Lara-Pezzi E, López-Cabrera M, Apolinario A, Moreno-Otero R, García-Monzón C
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Interaction of hepatitis B viral X protein and CCAAT/ enhancer-binding protein alpha synergistically activates the hepatitis B viral enhancer II/pregenomic promoter.
- Authors: Choi BH, Park GT, Rho HM
- Issue date: 1999 Jan 29
- Hepatitis B virus X protein modulates oncogene Yes-associated protein by CREB to promote growth of hepatoma cells.
- Authors: Zhang T, Zhang J, You X, Liu Q, Du Y, Gao Y, Shan C, Kong G, Wang Y, Yang X, Ye L, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2012 Dec