Heterogeneity of viral IL-6 expression in HHV-8-associated diseases.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsCannon, Jennifer S.
Orenstein, Jan M.
Mann, Risa B.
Murray, Paul G.
Browning, Philip J.
DiGiuseppe, Joseph A.
Hayward, Gary S.
Ambinder, Richard F.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn order to characterize the expression of the viral interleukin-6 (vIL-6) homologue in various human herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8)-associated diseases, in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry were applied to formalin-fixed specimens. These assays showed consistent expression of vIL-6 in primary effusion lymphomas and in a case of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-associated lymphadenopathy with a Castleman's disease-like appearance. In contrast, Kaposi's sarcoma specimens showed marked differences among specimens. In a consecutive series of specimens from the Johns Hopkins archives, vIL-6 expression was demonstrated in one of 13 cases. However, among 7 specimens selected from the AIDS Malignancy Bank because of their high levels of the T1.1 lytic transcript and virion production, vIL-6 expression was consistently demonstrated in infiltrating mononuclear cells and occasional spindle-shaped cells. Thus vIL-6 expression in clinical specimens correlates with other measures of the lytic viral cycle. Both assays generally give congruent results and are consistent with the possibility that vIL-6 expression plays a role in the pathogenesis of a variety of HHV-8-associated diseases.
CitationJournal of Infectious Diseases, 180(3): 824-828
PublisherUniversity of Chicago Press
CollectionsCentre for Health and Social Care Improvement
- Human herpesvirus 8-associated solid lymphomas that occur in AIDS patients take anaplastic large cell morphology.
- Authors: Katano H, Suda T, Morishita Y, Yamamoto K, Hoshino Y, Nakamura K, Tachikawa N, Sata T, Hamaguchi H, Iwamoto A, Mori S
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Human herpesvirus 8 DNA in CNS lymphomas from patients with and without AIDS.
- Authors: Corboy JR, Garl PJ, Kleinschmidt-DeMasters BK
- Issue date: 1998 Feb
- Colocalization of the viral interleukin-6 with latent nuclear antigen-1 of human herpesvirus-8 in endothelial spindle cells of Kaposi's sarcoma and lymphoid cells of multicentric Castleman's disease.
- Authors: Brousset P, Cesarman E, Meggetto F, Lamant L, Delsol G
- Issue date: 2001 Jan
- Immunoblastic lymphoma in persons with AIDS-associated Kaposi's sarcoma: a role for Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus.
- Authors: Engels EA, Pittaluga S, Whitby D, Rabkin C, Aoki Y, Jaffe ES, Goedert JJ
- Issue date: 2003 May
- Expression of human herpesvirus 8-encoded cyclin D in Kaposi's sarcoma spindle cells.
- Authors: Davis MA, Stürzl MA, Blasig C, Schreier A, Guo HG, Reitz M, Opalenik SR, Browning PJ
- Issue date: 1997 Dec 17