Modelling the influence of age, body size and sex on maximum oxygen uptake in older humans.
AuthorsJohnson, Patrick J.
Winter, Edward M.
Paterson, Don H.
Koval, John J.
Nevill, Alan M.
Cunningham, David A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to describe the influence of body size and sex on the decline in maximum oxygen uptake (O2,max) in older men and women. A stratified random sample of 152 men and 146 women, aged 55-86 years, was drawn from the study population. Influence of age on O2,max, independent of differences in body mass (BM) or fat-free mass (FFM), was investigated using the following allometric model: O2,max = BMb (or FFMb) exp(a + (c ' age) + (d ' sex)) [epsilon]. The model was linearised and parameters identified using standard multiple regression. The BM model explained 68.8 % of the variance in O2,max. The parameters (+/- s.e.e., standard error of the estimate) for lnBM (0.563 +/- 0.070), age (-0.0154 +/- 0.0012), sex (0.242 +/- 0.024) and the intercept (-1.09 +/- 0.32) were all significant (P < 0.001). The FFM model explained 69.3 % of the variance in O2,max, and the parameters (+/- s.e.e) lnFFM (0.772 +/- 0.090), age (-0.0159 +/- 0.0012) and the intercept (-1.57 +/- 0.36) were significant (P < 0.001), while sex (0.077 +/- 0.038) was significant at P = 0.0497. Regardless of the model used, the age-associated decline was similar, with a relative decline of 15 % per decade (0.984 exp(age)) in O2,max in older humans being estimated. The study has demonstrated that, for a randomly drawn sample, the age-related loss in O2,max is determined, in part, by the loss of fat-free body mass. When this factor is accounted for, the loss of O2,max across age is similar in older men and women.
CitationExperimental physiology 2000, 85 (2):219-25
PublisherThe Physiological Society
- Modelling the influence of fat-free mass and physical activity on the decline in maximal oxygen uptake with age in older humans.
- Authors: Amara CE, Koval JJ, Johnson PJ, Paterson DH, Winter EM, Cunningham DA
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Maximal oxygen uptake at the same fat-free mass is greater in men than women.
- Authors: Davis JA, Wilson LD, Caiozzo VJ, Storer TW, Pham PH
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Accelerated longitudinal decline of aerobic capacity in healthy older adults.
- Authors: Fleg JL, Morrell CH, Bos AG, Brant LJ, Talbot LA, Wright JG, Lakatta EG
- Issue date: 2005 Aug 2
- Age and sex variation in measures of body composition among the elderly Bengalee Hindus of Calcutta, India.
- Authors: Ghosh A
- Issue date: 2004 Dec
- Modeling the influence of body size on V(O2) peak: effects of model choice and body composition.
- Authors: Batterham AM, Vanderburgh PM, Mahar MT, Jackson AS
- Issue date: 1999 Oct