Sport psychology and performance meta-analyses: A systematic review of the literature
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSport psychology as an academic pursuit is nearly two centuries old. An enduring goal since inception has been to understand how psychological techniques can improve athletic performance. Although much evidence exists in the form of meta-analytic reviews related to sport psychology and performance, a systematic review of these meta-analyses is absent from the literature. We aimed to synthesize the extant literature to gain insights into the overall impact of sport psychology on athletic performance. Guided by the PRISMA statement for systematic reviews, we reviewed relevant articles identified via the EBSCOhost interface. Thirty meta-analyses published between 1983 and 2021 met the inclusion criteria, covering 16 distinct sport psychology constructs. Overall, sport psychology interventions/variables hypothesized to enhance performance (e.g., cohesion, confidence, mindfulness) were shown to have a moderate beneficial effect (d = 0.51), whereas variables hypothesized to be detrimental to performance (e.g., cognitive anxiety, depression, ego climate) had a small negative effect (d = -0.21). The quality rating of meta-analyses did not significantly moderate the magnitude of observed effects, nor did the research design (i.e., intervention vs. correlation) of the primary studies included in the meta-analyses. Our review strengthens the evidence base for sport psychology techniques and may be of great practical value to practitioners. We provide recommendations for future research in the area.
CitationLochbaum M, Stoner E, Hefner T, Cooper S, Lane AM, Terry PC (2022) Sport psychology and performance meta-analyses: A systematic review of the literature. PLoS ONE 17(2): e0263408. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0263408
PublisherPublic Library of Science
PubMed ID35171944 (pubmed)
Description© 2022 The Authors. Published by PLOS. This is an open access article available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0263408
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Sport psychology and performance meta-analyses: A systematic review of the literature.
- Authors: Lochbaum M, Stoner E, Hefner T, Cooper S, Lane AM, Terry PC
- Issue date: 2022
- Psychological skills training and a mindfulness-based intervention to enhance functional athletic performance: design of a randomized controlled trial using ambulatory assessment.
- Authors: Röthlin P, Birrer D, Horvath S, Grosse Holtforth M
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26
- Effects of Psychological and Psychosocial Interventions on Sport Performance: A Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Brown DJ, Fletcher D
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Effects of Mindfulness Practice on Performance-Relevant Parameters and Performance Outcomes in Sports: A Meta-Analytical Review.
- Authors: Bühlmayer L, Birrer D, Röthlin P, Faude O, Donath L
- Issue date: 2017 Nov