Cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity in people who have rheumatoid arthritis at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease: a cross-sectional study
van den Hoek, J
van der Leeden, M
van der Esch, M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLower cardiorespiratory fitness (CRF) and physical activity (PA) associate with higher cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk, but the relationship between CRF and PA in people who have rheumatoid arthritis (RA) at an increased CVD risk (CVD-RA) is not known. The objectives of this study were to determine the levels of CRF and PA in people who have CVD-RA and to investigate the association of CRF with PA in people who have CVD-RA. A total of 24 consecutive patients (19 women) with CVD-RA (> 4% for 10-year risk of fatal CVD development as calculated using the Systematic Coronary Risk Evaluation)-were included in the study. CRF was assessed with a graded maximal exercise test determining maximal oxygen uptake (VO<sub>2max</sub>). PA was assessed with an accelerometer to determine the amount of step count, sedentary, light and moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) minutes per day. Mean age of patients was 65.3 ± 8.3 years. CRF mean values were 16.3 ± 1.2 ml·kg<sup>-1</sup> min<sup>-1</sup>, mean step count per day was 6033 ± 2256, and the mean MVPA time was 16.7 min per day. Significant positive associations were found for CRF with step count (B = 0.001, P = 0.01) and MVPA time (B = 0.15, P = 0.02); a negative association was found for CRF with sedentary time (B = - 0.02, P = 0.03). CRF is low and is associated with step count, sedentary time and MVPA time in people who have RA at an increased CVD risk.
CitationSobejana, M., van den Hoek, J., Metsios, G.S. et al. (2021) Cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity in people who have rheumatoid arthritis at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease: a cross-sectional study. Rheumatology International. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-021-04903-6
PubMed ID34331578 (pubmed)
DescriptionThis is an accepted manuscript of an article published by Springer in Rheumatology International on 31/07/2021, available online: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-021-04903-6 The accepted version of the publication may differ from the final published version.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Cardiorespiratory fitness and physical activity in people who have rheumatoid arthritis at an increased risk of cardiovascular disease: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Sobejana M, van den Hoek J, Metsios GS, Kitas GD, Jorstad HT, van der Leeden M, Pijnappels M, Lems WF, Nurmohamed MT, van der Esch M
- Issue date: 2021 Dec
- The impact of cardiorespiratory fitness on classical cardiovascular disease risk factors in rheumatoid arthritis: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study.
- Authors: Cooney JK, Ahmad YA, Moore JP, Sandoo A, Thom JM
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Exercise intervention on cardiorespiratory fitness in rheumatoid arthritis patients with high cardiovascular disease risk: a single-arm pilot study.
- Authors: Sobejana M, van den Hoek J, Metsios GS, Kitas GD, van der Leeden M, Verberne S, Jorstad HT, Pijnappels M, Lems WF, Nurmohamed MT, van der Esch M
- Issue date: 2022 Dec
- Cardiorespiratory fitness levels and their association with cardiovascular profile in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Koutedakis Y, Veldhuijzen van Zanten JJ, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Vitalis P, Duda JL, Ntoumanis N, Rouse PC, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2015 Dec