2021 EULAR recommendations for the implementation of self-management strategies in patients with inflammatory arthritis
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
De Thurah, A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBackground: An important but often insufficient aspect of care in people with inflammatory arthritis (IA) is empowering patients to acquire a good understanding of their disease and building their ability to deal effectively with the practical, physical and psychological impacts of it. Self-management skills can be helpful in this regard. Objectives: To develop recommendations for the implementation of self-management strategies in IA. Methods: A multidisciplinary taskforce of 18 members from 11 European countries was convened. A systematic review and other supportive information (survey of healthcare professionals (HCPs) and patient organisations) were used to formulate the recommendations. Results: Three overarching principles and nine recommendations were formulated. These focused on empowering patients to become active partners of the team and to take a more proactive role. The importance of patient education and key self-management interventions such as problem solving, goal setting and cognitive behavioural therapy were highlighted. Role of patient organisations and HCPs in promoting and signposting patients to available resources has been highlighted through the promotion of physical activity, lifestyle advice, support with mental health aspects and ability to remain at work. Digital healthcare is essential in supporting and optimising self-management and the HCPs need to be aware of available resources to signpost patients. Conclusion: These recommendations support the inclusion of self-management advice and resources in the routine management of people with IA and aim to empower and support patients and encourage a more holistic, patient-centred approach to care which could result in improved patient experience of care and outcomes.
CitationNikiphorou, E., Santos, E.J.F., Marques, A. et al. (2021) 2021 EULAR recommendations for the implementation of self-management strategies in patients with inflammatory arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. Published Online First: 07 May 2021. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2021-220249
JournalAnnals of the Rheumatic Diseases
PubMed ID33962964 (pubmed)
Description© 2021 The Authors. Published by BMJ. This is an open access article available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2021-220249
SponsorsThis project has received funding by the European League Against Rheumatism, Project number: PAR028.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- 2021 EULAR recommendations for the implementation of self-management strategies in patients with inflammatory arthritis.
- Authors: Nikiphorou E, Santos EJF, Marques A, Böhm P, Bijlsma JW, Daien CI, Esbensen BA, Ferreira RJO, Fragoulis GE, Holmes P, McBain H, Metsios GS, Moe RH, Stamm TA, de Thurah A, Zabalan C, Carmona L, Bosworth A
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- 2018 update of the EULAR recommendations for the role of the nurse in the management of chronic inflammatory arthritis.
- Authors: Bech B, Primdahl J, van Tubergen A, Voshaar M, Zangi HA, Barbosa L, Boström C, Boteva B, Carubbi F, Fayet F, Ferreira RJO, Hoeper K, Kocher A, Kukkurainen ML, Lion V, Minnock P, Moretti A, Ndosi M, Pavic Nikolic M, Schirmer M, Smucrova H, de la Torre-Aboki J, Waite-Jones J, van Eijk-Hustings Y
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- Effectiveness of self-management interventions in inflammatory arthritis: a systematic review informing the 2021 EULAR recommendations for the implementation of self-management strategies in patients with inflammatory arthritis.
- Authors: Marques A, Santos E, Nikiphorou E, Bosworth A, Carmona L
- Issue date: 2021 May