Non-specific effects of BCG vaccination on neutrophil and lymphocyte counts of healthy neonates from a developed country
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBCG vaccination is known to reduce neonatal mortality from infections in a pathogen-agnostic manner. In this observational study we report on whether an emergency granulopoietic response is elicited in term babies from a developed country following BCG vaccination. We studied a cohort of neonates re-admitted to the hospital from home for feeding support separated into 2 groups dependent on whether they had received BCG vaccination. Clinical data including gender, weight, gestational age, method of feeding and full blood count results were retrieved retrospectively. While lymphocyte counts increase following BCG vaccination irrespective of gender and in proportion with the time elapsed after vaccination, the increase in neutrophil counts, is only observed in boys. This increase appears to be temporary. Our results confirm the presence of emergency granulopoiesis following BCG vaccination in a neonatal cohort from a developed country. However, this effect appears to be gender-specific and is present only in boys.
CitationWilliamson, S.L., Gadd, E., Pillay, T. and Toldi, G. (2021) Non-specific effects of BCG vaccination on neutrophil and lymphocyte counts of healthy neonates from a developed country. Vaccine, 39(14), pp. 1887-1891.
PubMed ID33750591 (pubmed)
DescriptionThis is an accepted manuscript of an article published by Elsevier in Vaccine, available online: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2021.02.064 The accepted version of the publication may differ from the final published version.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Non-specific effects of BCG vaccination on neutrophil and lymphocyte counts of healthy neonates from a developed country.
- Authors: Williamson SL, Gadd E, Pillay T, Toldi G
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- Effects of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccination at birth on T and B lymphocyte subsets: Results from a clinical randomized trial.
- Authors: Birk NM, Nissen TN, Kjærgaard J, Hartling HJ, Thøstesen LM, Kofoed PE, Stensballe LG, Andersen A, Pryds O, Netea MG, Benn CS, Nielsen SD, Jeppesen DL
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 29
- BCG vaccination reaction in low birth weight infants.
- Authors: Kaur S, Faridi MM, Agarwal KN
- Issue date: 2002 Aug
- Influence of Bacillus Calmette-Guèrin vaccination at birth and 2 months old age on the peripheral blood T-cell subpopulations [gamma/delta and alpha-beta T cell].
- Authors: Taştan Y, Arvas A, Demir G, Alikaşifoğlu M, Gür E, Kiray E
- Issue date: 2005 Dec