Physical fitness profile in elite beach handball players of different age categories
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: The aims of this study were to compare anthropometric and fitness variables of high-level beach handball players across under-19 (u-19), under-21 (u-21) and senior male categories, and between male and female senior players; and to test the correlations among those measures. MeThodS: a total of 70 high-level players (53 male of different ages) were evaluated for 5-m acceleration, 15-m sprint, horizontal jump, handgrip strength, specific beach handball throwing velocities, and anthropometric variables. Differences between age groups were tested using anoVa. independent t-test was used to compare fitness variables between male and female elite athletes, and Pearson partial correlation coefficients were calculated between each of the fitness variables using BMI and age as covariates. SPSS Software was used, and the level of significance was set at 95%. reSulTS: The u-21 athletes better performed on horizontal jump and 6-m throw than the u-19 athletes. Senior athletes showed better performance on horizontal jump than U-19 athletes (P≤0.05). Positive correlation was seen for handgrip on dominant and non-dominant hands and 6-m throwing speed, and for handgrip on dominant hand and inflight velocity (P≤0.05). Negative correlations were observed between horizontal jump and 5-m acceleration, and 15-m sprint (P≤0.01 and P≤0.05, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: Male athletes better performed than women in all the fitness tests. The study, for the first time, showed physical fitness comparisons between beach handball elite male athletes of different ages and between genders. These are key steps for coaches and athletes and may support future beach handball studies and practice.
CitationLemos, L., Oliveira, V.C., Duncan, M.J. et al. (2020) Physical fitness profile in elite beach handball players of different age categories. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 60(12), pp. 1536-43.
PublisherEdizioni Minerva Medica
JournalJournal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness
PubMed ID32608936 (pubmed)
DescriptionThis is an accepted manuscript of an article published by Edizioni Minerva Medica in Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, available online: https://www.minervamedica.it/en/journals/sports-med-physical-fitness/article.php?cod=R40Y2020N12A1536# The accepted version of the publication may differ from the final published version.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Physical fitness profile in elite beach handball players of different age categories.
- Authors: Lemos LF, Oliveira VC, Duncan MJ, Ortega JP, Martins CM, Ramirez-Campillo R, Sanchez JS, Nevill AM, Nakamura FY
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Anthropometric Characteristics, Physical Fitness, and Throwing Velocity in Elite women's Handball Teams.
- Authors: Saavedra JM, Kristjánsdóttir H, Einarsson IÞ, Guðmundsdóttir ML, Þorgeirsson S, Stefansson A
- Issue date: 2018 Aug
- Study of Physical Fitness, Bone Quality, and Mediterranean Diet Adherence in Professional Female Beach Handball Players: Cross-Sectional Study.
- Authors: Martínez-Rodríguez A, Sánchez-Sánchez J, Martínez-Olcina M, Vicente-Martínez M, Miralles-Amorós L, Sánchez-Sáez JA
- Issue date: 2021 Jun 2
- Determinant Factors of Physical Performance and Specific Throwing in Handball Players of Different Ages.
- Authors: Ortega-Becerra M, Pareja-Blanco F, Jiménez-Reyes P, Cuadrado-Peñafiel V, González-Badillo JJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jun