Glycemic response of a carbohydrate-protein bar with ewe-goat whey
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study we examined the glycaemic index (GI) and glycaemic load (GL) of a functional food product, which contains ewe-goat whey protein and carbohydrates in a 1:1 ratio. Nine healthy volunteers, (age, 23.3 ± 3.9 years; body mass index, 24.2 ± 4.1 kg·m2; body fat %, 18.6 ± 10.0) randomly consumed either a reference food or amount of the test food both with equal carbohydrate content in two visits. In each visit, seven blood samples were collected; the first sample after an overnight fast and the remaining six at 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 and 120 min after the beginning of food consumption. Plasma glucose concentration was measured and the GI was determined by calculation of the incremental area under the curve. The GL was calculated using the equation: test food GI/100 g available carbohydrates per test food serving. The GI of the test food was found to be 5.18 ± 3.27, while the GL of one test food serving was 1.09 ± 0.68. These results indicate that the tested product can be classified as a low GI (<55) and low GL (<10) food. Given the health benefits of low glycaemic response foods and whey protein consumption, the tested food could potentially promote health beyond basic nutrition.
CitationManthou E, Kanaki M, Georgakouli K, Deli CK, Kouretas D, Koutedakis Y, Jamurtas AZ. (2014) Glycemic Response of a Carbohydrate-Protein Bar with Ewe-Goat Whey. Nutrients. 2014; 6(6):2240-2250. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu6062240
PubMed ID24926525 (pubmed)
Description© 2014 vThe Authors. Published by MDPI. This is an open access article available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: https://doi.org/10.3390/nu6062240
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Licence for published version: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International
- Glycemic response of a carbohydrate-protein bar with ewe-goat whey.
- Authors: Manthou E, Kanaki M, Georgakouli K, Deli CK, Kouretas D, Koutedakis Y, Jamurtas AZ
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 12
- Glycaemic index and glycaemic load values of commonly consumed foods in the United Arab Emirates.
- Authors: Al Dhaheri AS, Henry CJK, Mohamad MN, Ohuma EO, Ismail LC, Al Meqbaali FT, Jarrar AH
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Glycaemic index and glycaemic load values of a selection of popular foods consumed in Hong Kong.
- Authors: Lok KY, Chan R, Chan D, Li L, Leung G, Woo J, Lightowler HJ, Henry CJ
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Glycaemic index and glycaemic load of selected popular foods consumed in Southeast Asia.
- Authors: Sun L, Lee DE, Tan WJ, Ranawana DV, Quek YC, Goh HJ, Henry CJ
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 14