Developing an intervention to implement electronic patient-reported outcomes in renal services in the UK
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRoutinely collecting and using electronic patient-reported outcome (ePRO) data in clinical practice can improve patients' experience and outcomes, but implementing this at scale has proved challenging. As part of the Optimising routine collection of electronic patient-reported outcomes (OPT-ePRO) study, we therefore developed an intervention that aimed to facilitate the implementation of ePROs. We are conducting OPT-ePRO in the context of secondary care for people with chronic kidney disease in the UK, with three renal units participating as our study sites. Intervention design was guided by Normalisation Process Theory, and informed by published literature and qualitative research. The intervention consisted of a national infrastructure to securely collect, transfer and display ePRO data, complemented with materials and procedures to support kidney patients and renal unit staff with embedding ePROs in usual care pathways. The next step will be to bring the OPT-ePRO intervention into practice and iteratively refine it.
CitationVan de Veer, S., Ercia, A., Caskey, F.J. et al. (2020) Developing an intervention to implement electronic patient-reported outcomes in renal services in the UK, in Pape-Haugaard, L.B., Lovis, C., Cort Madsen, I., Weber, P., Nielsen, P.H. and Scott, P. (eds.) Digital Personalized Health and Medicine: Proceedings of MIE 2020. Amsterdam: IOS Press.
PubMed ID32570519 (pubmed)
Description© 2020 The Authors. Published by IOS Press. This is an open access chapter available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: http://ebooks.iospress.nl/publication/54301
Series/Report no.Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 270
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
- Developing an Intervention to Implement Electronic Patient-Reported Outcomes in Renal Services in the UK.
- Authors: Van Der Veer SN, Ercia A, Caskey FJ, Farrington K, Jury F, Rees M, Whitlock T, Knowles S
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 16
- Evaluation of real-time use of electronic patient-reported outcome data by nurses with patients in home dialysis clinics.
- Authors: Schick-Makaroff K, Molzahn AE
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 26
- Using Electronic Data Collection Platforms to Assess Complementary and Integrative Health Patient-Reported Outcomes: Feasibility Project.
- Authors: Haun JN, Alman AC, Melillo C, Standifer M, McMahon-Grenz J, Shin M, Lapcevic WA, Patel N, Elwy AR
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 26
- Key methodological considerations for usability testing of electronic patient-reported outcome (ePRO) systems.
- Authors: Aiyegbusi OL
- Issue date: 2020 Feb