Physical activity, exercise and rheumatoid arthritis: Effectiveness, mechanisms and implementation
Abstract© 2019 Elsevier Ltd Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is characterised by functional disability, pain, fatigue and body composition alterations that can further impact on the physical dysfunction seen in RA. RA is also associated with systemic manifestations, most notably an increased risk for cardiovascular disease. There is strong evidence to suggest that increasing physical activity and/or exercise can simultaneously improve symptoms and reduce the impact of systemic manifestations in RA. However, implementation of interventions to facilitate increased physical activity and/or exercise within routine clinical practice is slow because of not only patient-specific and healthcare professional-related barriers but also lack of relevant infrastructure and provision. We review the evidence supporting the physiological adaptations and beneficial effects occurring as a result of increased physical activity and/or exercise in RA and propose an implementation model for facilitating the long-term engagement of patients with RA. We propose that implementation should be led, in a pragmatic manner, by rheumatology healthcare practitioners and supported by social innovation.
CitationMetsios, G.S. and Kitas, G.D. (2018) Physical activity, exercise and rheumatoid arthritis: Effectiveness, mechanisms and implementation, Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, 32(5), pp. 669-682.
JournalBest Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology
PubMed ID31203925 (pubmed)
DescriptionThis is an accepted manuscript of an article published by Elsevier in Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology in October 2018, available online: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2019.03.013 The accepted version of the publication may differ from the final published version.
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Physical activity, exercise and rheumatoid arthritis: Effectiveness, mechanisms and implementation.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- The practice of physical activity and cryotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis: systematic review.
- Authors: Peres D, Sagawa Y Jr, Dugué B, Domenech SC, Tordi N, Prati C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- The effects of exercise on cardiovascular disease risk factors and cardiovascular physiology in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Moe RH, van der Esch M, van Zanten JJCSV, Fenton SAM, Koutedakis Y, Vitalis P, Kennedy N, Brodin N, Bostrom C, Swinnen TW, Tzika K, Niedermann K, Nikiphorou E, Fragoulis GE, Vlieland TPVM, Van den Ende CHM, Kitas GD, IMPACT-RMD Consortium
- Issue date: 2020 Mar
- [Moderate intensive exercise has a positive effect in rheumatoid arthritis].
- Authors: Stenström CH, Sturk N
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 4