The effects of exercise on cardiovascular disease risk factors and cardiovascular physiology in rheumatoid arthritis
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van der Esch, M
van Zanten, JJCSV
Van den Ende, CHM
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2019, Springer-Verlag GmbH Germany, part of Springer Nature. Cardiovascular disease (CVD) morbidity and mortality is highly prevalent in patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) with debilitating effects for the individual as well as significant healthcare impact. Current evidence demonstrates that engaging in aerobic and resistance exercise (i.e. structured physical activity) can significantly improve patient-reported and clinical index-assessed outcomes in RA. In addition to this, engagement in exercise programmes improves, in a dose-dependent manner, the risk of developing CVD as well as CVD symptoms and outcomes. The present narrative review uses evidence from systematic reviews and meta-analyses as well as controlled trials, to synthesize the current state-of-the-art on the potential effects of aerobic and resistance exercise on CVD risk factors as well as on cardiac and vascular function and structure in people with RA. Where there is a lack of evidence in RA to explain potential mechanisms, relevant studies from the general population are also discussed and linked to RA.
CitationMetsios, G.S., Moe, R.H., van der Esch, M. et al. (2019) The effects of exercise on cardiovascular disease risk factors and cardiovascular physiology in rheumatoid arthritis, Rheumatology International, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-019-04483-6
PublisherSpringer Science and Business Media LLC
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Physical activity in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Verhoeven F, Tordi N, Prati C, Demougeot C, Mougin F, Wendling D
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Comparison of the effects of exercise and anti-TNF treatment on cardiovascular health in rheumatoid arthritis: results from two controlled trials.
- Authors: Veldhuijzen van Zanten JJCS, Sandoo A, Metsios GS, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Ntoumanis N, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2019 Feb
- Association of physical inactivity with increased cardiovascular risk in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Panoulas VF, Wilson M, Nevill AM, Koutedakis Y, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- The impact of cardiorespiratory fitness on classical cardiovascular disease risk factors in rheumatoid arthritis: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study.
- Authors: Cooney JK, Ahmad YA, Moore JP, Sandoo A, Thom JM
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- The role of exercise in the management of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2015