Evaluation of a functional epigenetic approach to identify promoter region methylation in phaeochromocytoma and neuroblastoma
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe molecular genetics of inherited phaeochromocytoma have received considerable attention, but the somatic genetic and epigenetic events that characterise tumourigenesis in sporadic phaeochromocytomas are less well defined. Previously, we found considerable overlap between patterns of promoter region tumour suppressor gene (TSG) hypermethylation in two neural crest tumours, neuroblastoma and phaeochromocytoma. In order to identify candidate biomarkers; and epigenetically inactivated TSGs in phaeochromocytoma and neuroblastoma, we characterised changes in gene expression in three neuroblastoma cell lines after treatment with the demethylating agent 5-azacytidine. Promoter region methylation status was then determined for 28 genes that demonstrated increased expression after demethylation. Three genes HSP47, homeobox A9 (HOXA9) and opioid binding protein (OPCML) were methylated in > 10% of phaeochromocytomas (52, 17 and 12% respectively). Two of the genes, epithelial membrane protein 3 (EMP3) and HSP47, demonstrated significantly more frequent methylation in neuroblastoma than phaeochromocytoma. These findings extend epigenotype of phaeochromocytoma and identify candidate genes implicated in sporadic phaeochromocytoma tumourigenesis. © 2008 Society for Endocrinology.
CitationMargetts, C. D. E., Morris, M., Astuti, D., Gentle, D. C., Cascon, A., McRonald, F. E., Catchpoole, D., Robledo, M., Neumann, H. P. H., Latif, F. and Maher, E. R. (2008) Evaluation of a functional epigenetic approach to identify promoter region methylation in phaeochromocytoma and neuroblastoma, Endocrine-Related Cancer, 15(3), pp. 777–786.
SponsorsCancer Research UK and the University of Birmingham
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- RASSF1A promoter region CpG island hypermethylation in phaeochromocytomas and neuroblastoma tumours.
- Authors: Astuti D, Agathanggelou A, Honorio S, Dallol A, Martinsson T, Kogner P, Cummins C, Neumann HP, Voutilainen R, Dahia P, Eng C, Maher ER, Latif F
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 8
- Investigation of the role of SDHB inactivation in sporadic phaeochromocytoma and neuroblastoma.
- Authors: Astuti D, Morris M, Krona C, Abel F, Gentle D, Martinsson T, Kogner P, Neumann HP, Voutilainen R, Eng C, Rustin P, Latif F, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 15
- Epigenetic analysis of HIC1, CASP8, FLIP, TSP1, DCR1, DCR2, DR4, DR5, KvDMR1, H19 and preferential 11p15.5 maternal-allele loss in von Hippel-Lindau and sporadic phaeochromocytomas.
- Authors: Margetts CD, Astuti D, Gentle DC, Cooper WN, Cascon A, Catchpoole D, Robledo M, Neumann HP, Latif F, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Epigenetic alteration at the DLK1-GTL2 imprinted domain in human neoplasia: analysis of neuroblastoma, phaeochromocytoma and Wilms' tumour.
- Authors: Astuti D, Latif F, Wagner K, Gentle D, Cooper WN, Catchpoole D, Grundy R, Ferguson-Smith AC, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 25
- EMP3, a myelin-related gene located in the critical 19q13.3 region, is epigenetically silenced and exhibits features of a candidate tumor suppressor in glioma and neuroblastoma.
- Authors: Alaminos M, Dávalos V, Ropero S, Setién F, Paz MF, Herranz M, Fraga MF, Mora J, Cheung NK, Gerald WL, Esteller M
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1