Patients' experiences during the first 12 weeks after discharge in fast-track hip and knee arthroplasty - a qualitative study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDue to the shortened length of stay in fast-track total hip and knee arthroplasty, patients must at a very early stage following surgery take responsibility for their postoperative care and treatment. It is important to establish if this treatment modality of fast-track is not only cost-effective, but meets patients' expectations and needs. To explore the lived experience of patients in fast-track total hip and knee arthroplasty during the first 12 weeks after discharge. A phenomenological-hermeneutic approach was used inspired by Ricoeur's theory of narrative and interpretation. Data were collected through semi-structured interviews with 8 patients 2 and 12 weeks after discharge. Through the structural analysis 3 themes emerged: 1) Dealing with transition between hospital and home, 2) Pain and self-management of medication, 3) Challenges in rehabilitation.
CitationSpecht, K. (et al) 2018, Patients' experiences during the first 12 weeks after discharge in fast-track hip and knee arthroplasty - a qualitative study, International Journal of Orthopaedic and Trauma Nursing, 31 pp 13-19
JournalInternational Journal of Orthopaedic and Trauma Nursing
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- Patient experience in fast-track hip and knee arthroplasty--a qualitative study.
- Authors: Specht K, Kjaersgaard-Andersen P, Pedersen BD
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Fast-track program of elective joint replacement in hip and knee-patients' experiences of the clinical pathway and care process.
- Authors: Berg U, Berg M, Rolfson O, Erichsen-Andersson A
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 21
- Patient experience with early discharge after total knee arthroplasty: a focus group study.
- Authors: Høvik LH, Aglen B, Husby VS
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Hip and knee arthroplasty - patient's experiences of pain and rehabilitation after discharge from hospital.
- Authors: Sjøveian AKH, Leegaard M
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- The quality of recovery on discharge from hospital, a comparison between patients undergoing hip and knee replacement - a European study.
- Authors: Johansson Stark Å, Charalambous A, Istomina N, Salanterä S, Sigurdardottir AK, Sourtzi P, Valkeapää K, Zabalegui A, Bachrach-Lindström M
- Issue date: 2016 Sep