Body weight and mood state modifications in mixed martial arts: An exploratory pilot
Bevilacqua, Guilherme G
Coimbra, Danilo R
Pombo, Luiz C
Lane, Andrew M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBrandt, R, Bevilacqua, GG, Coimbra, DR, Pombo, LC, Miarka, B, and Lane, AM. Body weight and mood state modifications in mixed martial arts: An exploratory pilot. J Strength Cond Res 32(9): 2548-2554, 2018-Mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters typically use rapid weight loss (RWL) as a strategy to make competition weight. The aim of the present study was to compare body weight and mood changes in professional male MMA athletes who used strategies to rapidly lose weight (n = 9) and with MMA athletes who did not (n = 3). Body mass and mood states of anger, confusion, depression, fatigue, tension, and vigor and total mood disturbance were assessed (a) 30 days before competition, (b) at the official weigh-in 1 day before competition, (c) 10 minutes before competition, and (d) 10 minutes postcompetition. Results indicated that RWL associated with reporting higher confusion and greater total mood disturbance at each assessment point. Rapid weight loss also associated with high anger at the official weigh-in. However, in performance, RWL did not have deleterious effects on performance. The RWL group also reported greater total mood disturbance at all assessment points with a moderate difference effect size. Research supports the notion that RWL associates with potentially dysfunctional mood states.
JournalJournal of Strength and Conditioning Research
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States
- [EATING ATTITUDES AND PRE-COMPETITION RAPID WEIGHT LOSS IN YOUNG TAEKWONDO FIGHTERS].
- Authors: Dubnov-Raz G, Mashiach-Arazi Y, Arieli R, Raz R, Constantini NW
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Effects of Rapid Weight Loss on Judo Athletes: A Systematic Review.
- Authors: Lakicevic N, Roklicer R, Bianco A, Mani D, Paoli A, Trivic T, Ostojic SM, Milovancev A, Maksimovic N, Drid P
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 26
- Rapid Weight Loss Elicits Harmful Biochemical and Hormonal Responses in Mixed Martial Arts Athletes.
- Authors: Coswig VS, Fukuda DH, Del Vecchio FB
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Extreme Rapid Weight Loss and Rapid Weight Gain Observed in UK Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Preparing for Competition.
- Authors: Matthews JJ, Nicholas C
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- High Prevalence and Magnitude of Rapid Weight Loss in Mixed Martial Arts Athletes.
- Authors: Hillier M, Sutton L, James L, Mojtahedi D, Keay N, Hind K
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1