First observation of the quantized exciton-polariton field and effect of interactions on a single polariton.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
López Carreño, Juan Camilo
De Giorgi, Milena
Suárez-Forero, Daniel G
Sánchez Muñoz, Carlos
del Valle, Elena
Laussy, Fabrice P
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPolaritons are quasi-particles that originate from the coupling of light with matter and that demonstrate quantum phenomena at the many-particle mesoscopic level, such as Bose-Einstein condensation and superfluidity. A highly sought and long-time missing feature of polaritons is a genuine quantum manifestation of their dynamics at the single-particle level. Although they are conceptually perceived as entangled states and theoretical proposals abound for an explicit manifestation of their single-particle properties, so far their behavior has remained fully accounted for by classical and mean-field theories. We report the first experimental demonstration of a genuinely quantum state of the microcavity polariton field, by swapping a photon for a polariton in a two-photon entangled state generated by parametric downconversion. When bringing this single-polariton quantum state in contact with a polariton condensate, we observe a disentangling with the external photon. This manifestation of a polariton quantum state involving a single quantum unlocks new possibilities for quantum information processing with interacting bosons.
CitationCuevas, Á, Carreño, JCL, Silva, B, De Giorgi, M, Suárez-Forero, DG, Muñoz, CS, Fieramosca, A, Cardano, F, Marrucci, L, Tasco, V, Biasiol, G, Del Valle, E, Dominici, L, Ballarini, D, Gigli, G, Mataloni, P, Laussy, FP, Sciarrino, F, Sanvitto, D. (2018) 'First observation of the quantized exciton-polariton field and effect of interactions on a single polariton', Science Advances, 4 (4) eaao6814 doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aao6814
Description© 2018 The Authors. Published by Science. This is an open access article available under a Creative Commons licence. The published version can be accessed at the following link on the publisher’s website: https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aao6814
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
- Control of Coherently Coupled Exciton Polaritons in Monolayer Tungsten Disulphide.
- Authors: Liu X, Bao W, Li Q, Ropp C, Wang Y, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 14
- Towards polariton blockade of confined exciton-polaritons.
- Authors: Delteil A, Fink T, Schade A, Höfling S, Schneider C, İmamoğlu A
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Coherent zero-state and pi-state in an exciton-polariton condensate array.
- Authors: Lai CW, Kim NY, Utsunomiya S, Roumpos G, Deng H, Fraser MD, Byrnes T, Recher P, Kumada N, Fujisawa T, Yamamoto Y
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 22
- Exciton-polariton trapping and potential landscape engineering.
- Authors: Schneider C, Winkler K, Fraser MD, Kamp M, Yamamoto Y, Ostrovskaya EA, Höfling S
- Issue date: 2017 Jan
- Bose-Einstein Condensation of Exciton-Polaritons in Organic Microcavities.
- Authors: Keeling J, Kéna-Cohen S
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 20