Association of environmental tobacco smoke with dementia and Alzheimer's disease among never smokers
AbstractEnvironmental tobacco smoke (ETS) is known to be harmful; however, its association with dementia remains controversial and with Alzheimer's disease (AD) is unknown. Using a standard interview method, the author carried out a multicenter cross-sectional study of dementia in China by examining 2692 never-smoking people aged ≥60 years. Relative risks (RRs) of AD and all dementia, as diagnosed by psychiatrists, in relation to ETS were calculated in a multivariate regression model. The adjusted RR for all dementia was 1.78 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.18-2.68). The increased risk was mainly from exposure to ETS at home (1.87, 95% CI: 1.19-2.93), and it was associated with exposure duration. The adjusted RR for AD was 2.28 (95% CI: 1.82-2.84); the matched figure for ETS exposure at home, at work, and at other places was 2.15 (95% CI: 1.69-2.74), 2.04 (95% CI: 1.72-2.42), and 1.80 (95% CI: 0.96-3.38), respectively. The association of the increased risk with a total cumulative exposure dose was at borderline significance. The risk of dementia and AD increased with ETS exposure. Banning smoking in public areas may help reduce a dementia epidemic worldwide.
JournalAlzheimer's & Dementia
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Association between environmental tobacco smoke exposure and dementia syndromes.
- Authors: Chen R, Wilson K, Chen Y, Zhang D, Qin X, He M, Hu Z, Ma Y, Copeland JR
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Smoking is associated with an increased risk of dementia: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies with investigation of potential effect modifiers.
- Authors: Zhong G, Wang Y, Zhang Y, Guo JJ, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2015
- p53 mutations and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke in a multicenter study on lung cancer.
- Authors: Husgafvel-Pursiainen K, Boffetta P, Kannio A, Nyberg F, Pershagen G, Mukeria A, Constantinescu V, Fortes C, Benhamou S
- Issue date: 2000 Jun 1
- Environmental tobacco smoking, mutagen sensitivity, and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Zhang ZF, Morgenstern H, Spitz MR, Tashkin DP, Yu GP, Hsu TC, Schantz SP
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Tobacco use and dementia: evidence from the 1066 dementia population-based surveys in Latin America, China and India.
- Authors: Ferri CP, West R, Moriyama TS, Acosta D, Guerra M, Huang Y, Jacob KS, Ribeiro W, Llibre de Rodriguez JJ, Salas A, Sosa AL, Williams J, Acosta I, Liu Z, Hernandez MA, Prince MJ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov