Cortical and trabecular bone analysis of professional dancers using 3D-DXA: a case-control study.
Flouris, Andreas D
Metsios, George S
Jamurtas, Athanasios Z
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGiven the lack of relevant data, the aim of this study was to examine femur cortical and trabecular bone in female and male professional ballet dancers. 40 professional ballet dancers and 40 sex- and age-matched non-exercising controls volunteered. Femoral bone density was scanned by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan. A 3D-DXA software was used to analyse trabecular and cortical bone. Anthropometry, maturation (Tanner staging), menstrual parameters (age at menarche and primary amenorrhea), energy availability and nutritional analysis (3-day record) were also assessed.Compared to non-exercising participants, dancers exhibited significantly higher volumetric density for integral, cortical and trabecular bone, and thicker cortex at the femur. Ballet dancers demonstrated lower body weight compared to controls (p < 0.01). Female dancers had their menarche later than controls, and the prevalence of primary amenorrhea were significantly higher in dancers than controls (p < 0.01). Dancer's energy availability was below the normal range (<30 kcal/kgFFM/day). Despite the presence of certain osteoporosis risk factors such as low energy availability, primary amenorrhoea and lower body weight, professional ballet dancers revealed higher bone density for both cortical and trabecular bone compartments compared to controls.
JournalJournal of Sports Sciences
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Cortical and Trabecular Bone Analysis of Patients With High Bone Mass From the Barcelona Osteoporosis Cohort Using 3-Dimensional Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry: A Case-Control Study.
- Authors: Orduna G, Humbert L, Fonolla R, Romera J, Cos ML, Rial A, Nogués X, Diez-Perez A, Mellibovsky L
- Issue date: 2018 Oct-Dec
- Energetic efficiency, menstrual irregularity, and bone mineral density in elite professional female ballet dancers.
- Authors: Doyle-Lucas AF, Akers JD, Davy BM
- Issue date: 2010
- Analysis of the evolution of cortical and trabecular bone compartments in the proximal femur after spinal cord injury by 3D-DXA.
- Authors: Gifre L, Humbert L, Muxi A, Del Rio L, Vidal J, Portell E, Monegal A, Guañabens N, Peris P
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Bone mineral density in vocational and professional ballet dancers.
- Authors: Amorim T, Koutedakis Y, Nevill A, Wyon M, Maia J, Machado JC, Marques F, Metsios GS, Flouris AD, Adubeiro N, Nogueira L, Dimitriou L
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Physical activity, body composition and bone density in ballet dancers.
- Authors: van Marken Lichtenbelt WD, Fogelholm M, Ottenheijm R, Westerterp KR
- Issue date: 1995 Oct