Psychosocial determinants of depression in the community of the elderly with cardiovascular disease
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe co-morbidity of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and depression is quite frequent in old people, and some potential biological and behavioural mechanisms linking them have been reported. Yet the impact of psychosocial factors on depression in the elderly with CVD remains unclear. This study aimed to analyze the psychosocial determinants of depression in the elderly with CVD. Using the Geriatric Mental Status-Automated Geriatric Examination for Computer Assisted Taxonomy, a community-based household survey was performed in 2,199 elderly people from the Anhui cohort third-wave survey from 2007 to 2009 and an extended study in Hubei from 2010 to 2011. Multiple logistic regression analyses were employed to assess the influence of psychosocial factors on depression. Among them, the prevalence of depression was 4.77%. Three factors were associated with depression in elderly in the community: self-assessed physical health status, anything else severely upsetting and unpleasantness with relatives, friends, or neighbors. In particular, associations of psychosocial factors with depression were more evident in individuals with CVD. This study confirms several psychosocial determinants of depression and the impact of CVD on the associations among the elderly, which provides some clues for interventional strategies of late-life depression.
CitationXu, M., Chen, R. et al. (2018) Psychosocial determinants of depression in the community of the elderly with cardiovascular disease, Psychiatry Research, 268 (October 2018), pp. 123-130.
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- The social network index and its relation to later-life depression among the elderly aged ≥80 years in Northern Thailand.
- Authors: Aung MN, Moolphate S, Aung TN, Katonyoo C, Khamchai S, Wannakrairot P
- Issue date: 2016
- Spousal suffering and partner's depression and cardiovascular disease: the Cardiovascular Health Study.
- Authors: Schulz R, Beach SR, Hebert RS, Martire LM, Monin JK, Tompkins CA, Albert SM
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- The mediating role of cardiovascular risk factors in the relationship between symptoms of apathy and incident cardiovascular disease in community-dwelling older individuals.
- Authors: Eurelings LS, Jaccard J, Moll van Charante EP, Eikelenboom P, Ligthart SA, van Gool WA, Richard E
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Depression in elderly people living in rural Nigeria and its association with perceived health, poverty, and social network.
- Authors: Baiyewu O, Yusuf AJ, Ogundele A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Association of depression and anxiety status with 10-year cardiovascular disease incidence among apparently healthy Greek adults: The ATTICA Study.
- Authors: Kyrou I, Kollia N, Panagiotakos D, Georgousopoulou E, Chrysohoou C, Tsigos C, Randeva HS, Yannakoulia M, Stefanadis C, Papageorgiou C, Pitsavos C, ATTICA Study investigators.
- Issue date: 2017 Jan