Psychosocial determinants of depression in the community of the elderly with cardiovascular disease.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe co-morbidity of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and depression is quite frequent in old people, and some potential biological and behavioural mechanisms linking them have been reported. Yet the impact of psychosocial factors on depression in the elderly with CVD remains unclear. This study aimed to analyze the psychosocial determinants of depression in the elderly with CVD. Using the Geriatric Mental Status-Automated Geriatric Examination for Computer Assisted Taxonomy, a community-based household survey was performed in 2,199 elderly people from the Anhui cohort third-wave survey from 2007 to 2009 and an extended study in Hubei from 2010 to 2011. Multiple logistic regression analyses were employed to assess the influence of psychosocial factors on depression. Among them, the prevalence of depression was 4.77%. Three factors were associated with depression in elderly in the community: self-assessed physical health status, anything else severely upsetting and unpleasantness with relatives, friends, or neighbors. In particular, associations of psychosocial factors with depression were more evident in individuals with CVD. This study confirms several psychosocial determinants of depression and the impact of CVD on the associations among the elderly, which provides some clues for interventional strategies of late-life depression.
CitationVolume 268, October 2018, Pages 123-130
The following license files are associated with this item:
- The prevalence of mental disorders in the elderly in Edmonton: a community survey using GMS-AGECAT. Geriatric Mental State-Automated Geriatric Examination for Computer Assisted Taxonomy.
- Authors: Newman SC, Bland RC, Orn HT
- Issue date: 1998 Nov
- The social network index and its relation to later-life depression among the elderly aged ≥80 years in Northern Thailand.
- Authors: Aung MN, Moolphate S, Aung TN, Katonyoo C, Khamchai S, Wannakrairot P
- Issue date: 2016
- Depression in older people in rural China.
- Authors: Chen R, Wei L, Hu Z, Qin X, Copeland JR, Hemingway H
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 26
- Depression in elderly people living in rural Nigeria and its association with perceived health, poverty, and social network.
- Authors: Baiyewu O, Yusuf AJ, Ogundele A
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Impacts of poor social support on general health status in community-dwelling korean elderly: the results from the korean longitudinal study on health and aging.
- Authors: Shin JK, Kim KW, Park JH, Lee JJ, Huh Y, Lee SB, Choi EA, Lee DY, Woo JI
- Issue date: 2008 Sep