Effect of pH on the physico-mechanical properties and miscibility of methyl cellulose/poly(acrylic acid) blends.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe miscibility behavior and physico-mechanical properties between methyl cellulose (MC) of different molecular weights (4 × 10(4) and 8.3 × 10(4)g/mol) and poly(acrylic acid) (PAA) were studied by viscometry, differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), thermal gravimetric analysis (TGA), tensile strength and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) using water as a solvent. Various formulations were designed to investigate the effects of process variables such as pH on the physico-mechanical and miscibility properties of MC/PAA blends. The rheological features for the obtained blends are strongly dependent on the molecular weight of the MC used and pH. The viscosity measurements showed that all blends have non-Newtonian shear thinning (pseudoplastic) behavior. These blends have a single glass transition indicating that these blends are able to form a miscible phase due to the formation of hydrogen bonds between the hydroxyl group of MC and the carboxyl group of PAA. The MC/PAA blends exhibit good mechanical properties, thermal stability, characteristics of a MC-PAA polymer network. SEM of the blends showed no phase separation, when compared with the pure MC and PAA.
CitationEffect of pH on the physico-mechanical properties and miscibility of methyl cellulose/poly(acrylic acid) blends. 2014, 101:415-22 Carbohydr Polym
- Hydrogen-bonded complexes and blends of poly(acrylic acid) and methylcellulose: nanoparticles and mucoadhesive films for ocular delivery of riboflavin.
- Authors: Khutoryanskaya OV, Morrison PW, Seilkhanov SK, Mussin MN, Ozhmukhametova EK, Rakhypbekov TK, Khutoryanskiy VV
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- pH effects on the complexation, miscibility and radiation-induced crosslinking in poly(acrylic acid)-poly(vinyl alcohol) blends.
- Authors: Nurkeeva ZS, Mun GA, Dubolazov AV, Khutoryanskiy VV
- Issue date: 2005 May 23
- Assessment of polymer-polymer interactions in blends of HPMC and film forming polymers by modulated temperature differential scanning calorimetry.
- Authors: Nyamweya N, Hoag SW
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Decolourization performance in C. I. Vat Yellow 1 aqueous suspension using hydrophobically modified poly(acrylic acid).
- Authors: Chen J, Chen MC
- Issue date: 2011
- Design of mucoadhesive polymeric films based on blends of poly(acrylic acid) and (hydroxypropyl)cellulose.
- Authors: Dubolazov AV, Nurkeeva ZS, Mun GA, Khutoryanskiy VV
- Issue date: 2006 May