Genetic analyses of undifferentiated small round cell sarcoma identifies a novel sarcoma subtype with a recurrent CRTC1-SS18 gene fusion
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Brini, Anna T
Morris, Mark R.
Antonescu, Cristina R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn recent years, undifferentiated small round cell sarcomas (USRCSs) have been divided into a variety of new, rare, sarcoma subtypes, including the group of Ewing-like sarcomas, which have the morphological appearance of Ewing sarcomas, but carry CIC-DUX4, BCOR-CCNB3 and other gene fusions different from the classic EWSR1-ETS gene fusion. Using high-throughput RNA-sequencing (RNA-seq) analyses, we identified a novel recurrent gene fusion, CRTC1-SS18, in two cases of USRCS that lacked any known translocation. RNA-seq results were confirmed by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction, long-range polymerase chain reaction, and fluorescence in situ hybridization. In vitro, we showed that the cells expressing the gene fusion were morphologically distinct and had enhanced oncogenic potential as compared with control cells. Expression profile comparisons with tumours of other sarcoma subtypes demonstrated that both cases clustered close to EWSR1-CREB1-positive tumours. Moreover, these analyses indicated enhanced NTRK1 expression in CRTC1-SS18-positive tumours. We conclude that the novel gene fusion identified in this study adds a new subtype to the USRCSs with unique gene signatures, and may be of therapeutic relevance. Copyright © 2018 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Citation'Genetic analyses of undifferentiated small round cell sarcoma identifies a novel sarcoma subtype with a recurrent CRTC1-SS18 gene fusion', Journal of Pathology, 245 (2) pp. 186-196
JournalJournal of Pathology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Histological and immunohistochemical characteristics of undifferentiated small round cell sarcomas associated with CIC-DUX4 and BCOR-CCNB3 fusion genes.
- Authors: Yamada Y, Kuda M, Kohashi K, Yamamoto H, Takemoto J, Ishii T, Iura K, Maekawa A, Bekki H, Ito T, Otsuka H, Kuroda M, Honda Y, Sumiyoshi S, Inoue T, Kinoshita N, Nishida A, Yamashita K, Ito I, Komune S, Taguchi T, Iwamoto Y, Oda Y
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- A novel CIC-FOXO4 gene fusion in undifferentiated small round cell sarcoma: a genetically distinct variant of Ewing-like sarcoma.
- Authors: Sugita S, Arai Y, Tonooka A, Hama N, Totoki Y, Fujii T, Aoyama T, Asanuma H, Tsukahara T, Kaya M, Shibata T, Hasegawa T
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Important Recently Characterized Non-Ewing Small Round Cell Tumors.
- Authors: Carter CS, Patel RM
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Clinicopathologic Diversity of Undifferentiated Sarcoma With BCOR-CCNB3 Fusion: Analysis of 11 Cases With a Reappraisal of the Utility of Immunohistochemistry for BCOR and CCNB3.
- Authors: Matsuyama A, Shiba E, Umekita Y, Nosaka K, Kamio T, Yanai H, Miyasaka C, Watanabe R, Ito I, Tamaki T, Hayashi S, Hisaoka M
- Issue date: 2017 Dec
- Novel BCOR-MAML3 and ZC3H7B-BCOR Gene Fusions in Undifferentiated Small Blue Round Cell Sarcomas.
- Authors: Specht K, Zhang L, Sung YS, Nucci M, Dry S, Vaiyapuri S, Richter GH, Fletcher CD, Antonescu CR
- Issue date: 2016 Apr