Effect of curing time on selected properties of soil stabilized with fly ash, marble dust and waste sand for road sub-base materials
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe properties of sub-base filling materials in highway construction are essential, as they can determine the performance of the road in service. Normally, the existing materials are removed and replaced with new materials that have adequate load-bearing capacity. Rising environmental concern and new environmental legislations have made construction professionals consider other methods. These methods include stabilizing the existing materials with other additives to improve their performance. Additives can be waste materials generated by different industries. In this work, the existing excavated soil is stabilized with waste materials. The wastes consisted of fly ash, marble dust and waste sand. The percentage addition of waste materials was 5%, 10%, 15% and 20% (by mass) of the existing soil. The soil/waste specimens were cured for 1, 7, 28, 56, 90 and 112 days before testing. Testing included the dry unit weight and unconfined compressive strength ( qu) as well as X-ray diffraction analysis and scanning electron microscopy observation. Also, the California Bearing Ratio values were obtained and are reported in this investigation. The results showed that the qu values increased with the increase in waste materials content. Also, there is tendency for the dry unit weight to increase with the increase in waste materials.
CitationFirat, S., Khatib, JM., Yilmaz, G., Comert, AT. (2017) 'Effect of curing time on selected properties of soil stabilized with fly ash, marble dust and waste sand for road sub-base materials', Waste Management and Research, Waste Management and Research, 35 (7) pp. 747-756
JournalWaste Management and Research
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
- Performance evaluation of cement stabilized fly ash-GBFS mixes as a highway construction material.
- Authors: Singh SP, Tripathy DP, Ranjith PG
- Issue date: 2008
- Effects of the use of fly ash as a binder on the mechanical behaviour of treated dredged sediments.
- Authors: Silitonga E, Levacher D, Mezazigh S
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Cement-Stabilized Waste Sand as Sustainable Construction Materials for Foundations and Highway Roads.
- Authors: Shalabi FI, Mazher J, Khan K, Alsuliman M, Almustafa I, Mahmoud W, Alomran N
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 17
- Geotechnical properties of clayey soil improved by sewage sludge ash.
- Authors: Kadhim YM, Al-Adhamii RAJ, Fattah MY
- Issue date: 2022 Jan
- Controlled low-strength material using fly ash and AMD sludge.
- Authors: Gabr MA, Bowders JJ
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 15