Germline Mutations in the CDKN2B Tumor Suppressor Gene Predispose to Renal Cell Carcinoma.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Wake, Naomi C
Ascher, David B
Pires, Douglas E V
Morris, Mark R.
Simpson, Michael A
Trembath, Richard C
Woodward, Emma R
Blundell, Tom L
Maher, Eamonn R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFamilial renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is genetically heterogeneous and may be caused by mutations in multiple genes, including VHL, MET, SDHB, FH, FLCN, PTEN, and BAP1. However, most individuals with inherited RCC do not have a detectable germline mutation. To identify novel inherited RCC genes, we undertook exome resequencing studies in a familial RCC kindred and identified a CDKN2B nonsense mutation that segregated with familial RCC status. Targeted resequencing of CDKN2B in individuals (n = 82) with features of inherited RCC then revealed three candidate CDKN2B missense mutations (p.Pro40Thr, p.Ala23Glu, and p.Asp86Asn). In silico analysis of the three-dimensional structures indicated that each missense substitution was likely pathogenic through reduced stability of the mutant or reduced affinity for cyclin-dependent kinases 4 and 6, and in vitro studies demonstrated that each of the mutations impaired CDKN2B-induced suppression of proliferation in an RCC cell line. These findings identify germline CDKN2B mutations as a novel cause of familial RCC.
CitationGermline Mutations in the CDKN2B Tumor Suppressor Gene Predispose to Renal Cell Carcinoma. 2015, 5 (7):723-9 Cancer Discov
PublisherAmerican Association for Cancer Research
CollectionsCancer Research Group
- Germline BAP1 mutations predispose to renal cell carcinomas.
- Authors: Popova T, Hebert L, Jacquemin V, Gad S, Caux-Moncoutier V, Dubois-d'Enghien C, Richaudeau B, Renaudin X, Sellers J, Nicolas A, Sastre-Garau X, Desjardins L, Gyapay G, Raynal V, Sinilnikova OM, Andrieu N, Manié E, de Pauw A, Gesta P, Bonadona V, Maugard CM, Penet C, Avril MF, Barillot E, Cabaret O, Delattre O, Richard S, Caron O, Benfodda M, Hu HH, Soufir N, Bressac-de Paillerets B, Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Stern MH
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 6
- Germline SDHB mutations and familial renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Ricketts C, Woodward ER, Killick P, Morris MR, Astuti D, Latif F, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 3
- A novel germline mutation in BAP1 predisposes to familial clear-cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Farley MN, Schmidt LS, Mester JL, Pena-Llopis S, Pavia-Jimenez A, Christie A, Vocke CD, Ricketts CJ, Peterson J, Middelton L, Kinch L, Grishin N, Merino MJ, Metwalli AR, Xing C, Xie XJ, Dahia PLM, Eng C, Linehan WM, Brugarolas J
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Germline and somatic mutations in cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor genes CDKN1A, CDKN2B, and CDKN2C in sporadic parathyroid adenomas.
- Authors: Costa-Guda J, Soong CP, Parekh VI, Agarwal SK, Arnold A
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Analysis of the Birt-Hogg-Dubé (BHD) tumour suppressor gene in sporadic renal cell carcinoma and colorectal cancer.
- Authors: da Silva NF, Gentle D, Hesson LB, Morton DG, Latif F, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2003 Nov