Germline Mutations in the CDKN2B Tumor Suppressor Gene Predispose to Renal Cell Carcinoma.
Wake, Naomi C
Ascher, David B
Pires, Douglas E V
Morris, Mark R.
Simpson, Michael A
Trembath, Richard C
Woodward, Emma R
Blundell, Tom L
Maher, Eamonn R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFamilial renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is genetically heterogeneous and may be caused by mutations in multiple genes, including VHL, MET, SDHB, FH, FLCN, PTEN, and BAP1. However, most individuals with inherited RCC do not have a detectable germline mutation. To identify novel inherited RCC genes, we undertook exome resequencing studies in a familial RCC kindred and identified a CDKN2B nonsense mutation that segregated with familial RCC status. Targeted resequencing of CDKN2B in individuals (n = 82) with features of inherited RCC then revealed three candidate CDKN2B missense mutations (p.Pro40Thr, p.Ala23Glu, and p.Asp86Asn). In silico analysis of the three-dimensional structures indicated that each missense substitution was likely pathogenic through reduced stability of the mutant or reduced affinity for cyclin-dependent kinases 4 and 6, and in vitro studies demonstrated that each of the mutations impaired CDKN2B-induced suppression of proliferation in an RCC cell line. These findings identify germline CDKN2B mutations as a novel cause of familial RCC.
CitationGermline Mutations in the CDKN2B Tumor Suppressor Gene Predispose to Renal Cell Carcinoma. 2015, 5 (7):723-9 Cancer Discov
PublisherAmerican Association for Cancer Research
- Exploring the hereditary background of renal cancer in Denmark.
- Authors: Christensen MB, Wadt K, Jensen UB, Lautrup CK, Bojesen A, Krogh LN, Overeem Hansen TV, Gerdes AM
- Issue date: 2019
- Germline BAP1 mutations predispose to renal cell carcinomas.
- Authors: Popova T, Hebert L, Jacquemin V, Gad S, Caux-Moncoutier V, Dubois-d'Enghien C, Richaudeau B, Renaudin X, Sellers J, Nicolas A, Sastre-Garau X, Desjardins L, Gyapay G, Raynal V, Sinilnikova OM, Andrieu N, Manié E, de Pauw A, Gesta P, Bonadona V, Maugard CM, Penet C, Avril MF, Barillot E, Cabaret O, Delattre O, Richard S, Caron O, Benfodda M, Hu HH, Soufir N, Bressac-de Paillerets B, Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Stern MH
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 6
- Germline SDHB mutations and familial renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Ricketts C, Woodward ER, Killick P, Morris MR, Astuti D, Latif F, Maher ER
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 3
- A novel germline mutation in BAP1 predisposes to familial clear-cell renal cell carcinoma.
- Authors: Farley MN, Schmidt LS, Mester JL, Pena-Llopis S, Pavia-Jimenez A, Christie A, Vocke CD, Ricketts CJ, Peterson J, Middelton L, Kinch L, Grishin N, Merino MJ, Metwalli AR, Xing C, Xie XJ, Dahia PLM, Eng C, Linehan WM, Brugarolas J
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Prevalence of Germline Mutations in Cancer Susceptibility Genes in Patients With Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma.
- Authors: Carlo MI, Mukherjee S, Mandelker D, Vijai J, Kemel Y, Zhang L, Knezevic A, Patil S, Ceyhan-Birsoy O, Huang KC, Redzematovic A, Coskey DT, Stewart C, Pradhan N, Arnold AG, Hakimi AA, Chen YB, Coleman JA, Hyman DM, Ladanyi M, Cadoo KA, Walsh MF, Stadler ZK, Lee CH, Feldman DR, Voss MH, Robson M, Motzer RJ, Offit K
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 1