Effective elimination of adult B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia by disulfiram/copper complex in vitro and in vivo in patient-derived xenograft models.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDisulfiram (DS), a clinically used drug to control alcoholism, has displayed promising anti-cancer activity against a wide range of tumors. Here, we demonstrated that DS/copper (Cu) complex effectively eliminated adult B-ALL cells in vitro and in vivo in patient-derived xenograft (PDX) humanized mouse models, reflected by inhibition of cell proliferation, induction of apoptosis, suppression of colony formation, and reduction of PDX tumor growth, while sparing normal peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Mechanistically, these events were associated with disruption of mitochondrial membrane potential and down-regulation of the anti-apoptotic proteins Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL. Further analysis on B-ALL patients' clinical characteristics revealed that the ex vivo efficacy of DS/Cu in primary samples was significantly correlated to p16 gene deletion and peripheral blood WBC counts at diagnosis, while age, LDH level, extramedullary infiltration, status post intensive induction therapy, immune phenotype, risk category, and Ph chromosome had no effect. Together, these findings indicate that disulfiram, particularly when administrated in combination with copper, might represent a potential repurposing agent for treatment of adult B-ALL patients, including those clinically characterized by one or more adverse prognostic factors.
CitationEffective elimination of adult B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia by disulfiram/copper complex in vitro and in vivo in patient-derived xenograft models. 2016 Oncotarget
- Disulfiram/copper selectively eradicates AML leukemia stem cells in vitro and in vivo by simultaneous induction of ROS-JNK and inhibition of NF-κB and Nrf2.
- Authors: Xu B, Wang S, Li R, Chen K, He L, Deng M, Kannappan V, Zha J, Dong H, Wang W
- Issue date: 2017 May 18
- Small-molecule inhibitors of Bcl-2 family proteins are able to induce tumor regression in a mouse model of pre-B-cell acute lymphocytic lymphoma.
- Authors: Turner BC, Eves T, Refaeli Y
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Disulfiram targets cancer stem-like properties and the HER2/Akt signaling pathway in HER2-positive breast cancer.
- Authors: Kim JY, Cho Y, Oh E, Lee N, An H, Sung D, Cho TM, Seo JH
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 28
- Low dose triptolide reverses chemoresistance in adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells via reactive oxygen species generation and DNA damage response disruption.
- Authors: Zhao H, Shi P, Deng M, Jiang Z, Li Y, Kannappan V, Wang W, Li P, Xu B
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 20
- Disulfiram when Combined with Copper Enhances the Therapeutic Effects of Temozolomide for the Treatment of Glioblastoma.
- Authors: Lun X, Wells JC, Grinshtein N, King JC, Hao X, Dang NH, Wang X, Aman A, Uehling D, Datti A, Wrana JL, Easaw JC, Luchman A, Weiss S, Cairncross JG, Kaplan DR, Robbins SM, Senger DL
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1