Characterisation and in vitro antimicrobial potential of liposome encapsulated silver ions against Candida albicans.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLiposomes are biocompatible, biodegradable, controlled delivery systems with the ability to encapsulate both lipophilic and hydrophilic compounds, including metal ions. Liposome encapsulated Ag(+) (lipo-Ag(+)), prepared by reverse-phase evaporation, was used as a controlled delivery system against Candida albicans. Characterisation of the lipo-Ag(+) indicated that the multilamellar vesicles with diameters ranging between ≈ 0.5 and 5.0 μm showed potential as a controlled delivery system to consistently deliver Ag(+) to C. albicans. Results from inductively coupled plasma (ICP) analysis showed higher association of cell bound Ag(+) at 15 mins post exposure when compared to unencapsulated Ag(+). Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) indicate detrimental effects of Ag(+) on C. albicans cell structure. These effects along with the ICP results also correlate with previously reported time kill experiment observations.
CitationCharacterisation and in vitro antimicrobial potential of liposome encapsulated silver ions against Candida albicans. 2016, 33 (2):146-52 J Microencapsul
PublisherTaylor & Francis
JournalJournal of microencapsulation
- Antimicrobial efficacy of liposome-encapsulated silver ions and tea tree oil against Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans.
- Authors: Low WL, Martin C, Hill DJ, Kenward MA
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Antifungal activity and mode of action of silver nano-particles on Candida albicans.
- Authors: Kim KJ, Sung WS, Suh BK, Moon SK, Choi JS, Kim JG, Lee DG
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Evaluation of Ag containing hydroxyapatite coatings to the Candida albicans infection.
- Authors: Ciuca S, Badea M, Pozna E, Pana I, Kiss A, Floroian L, Semenescu A, Cotrut CM, Moga M, Vladescu A
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Highly potential antifungal activity of quantum-sized silver nanoparticles against Candida albicans.
- Authors: Selvaraj M, Pandurangan P, Ramasami N, Rajendran SB, Sangilimuthu SN, Perumal P
- Issue date: 2014 May
- The effect of silver nanoparticles and nystatin on mixed biofilms of Candida glabrata and Candida albicans on acrylic.
- Authors: Silva S, Pires P, Monteiro DR, Negri M, Gorup LF, Camargo ER, Barbosa DB, Oliveira R, Williams DW, Henriques M, Azeredo J
- Issue date: 2013 Feb