Solid-state flurbiprofen and methyl-β-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes prepared using a single-step, organic solvent-free supercritical fluid process
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsRudrangi, Shashi Ravi Suman
Ghori, Muhammad U
Snowden, Martin J
Alexander, Bruce David
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to enhance the apparent solubility and dissolution properties of flurbiprofen through inclusion complexation with cyclodextrins. Especially, the efficacy of supercritical fluid technology as a preparative technique for the preparation of flurbiprofen-methyl-β-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes was evaluated. The complexes were prepared by supercritical carbon dioxide processing and were evaluated by solubility, differential scanning calorimetry, X-ray powder diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, practical yield, drug content estimation and in vitro dissolution studies. Computational molecular docking studies were conducted to study the possibility of molecular arrangement of inclusion complexes between flurbiprofen and methyl-β-cyclodextrin. The studies support the formation of stable molecular inclusion complexes between the drug and cyclodextrin in a 1:1 stoichiometry. In vitro dissolution studies showed that the dissolution properties of flurbiprofen were significantly enhanced by the binary mixtures prepared by supercritical carbon dioxide processing. The amount of flurbiprofen dissolved into solution alone was very low with 1.11 ± 0.09% dissolving at the end of 60 min, while the binary mixtures processed by supercritical carbon dioxide at 45 °C and 200 bar released 99.39 ± 2.34% of the drug at the end of 30 min. All the binary mixtures processed by supercritical carbon dioxide at 45 °C exhibited a drug release of more than 80% within the first 10 min irrespective of the pressure employed. The study demonstrated the single step, organic solvent-free supercritical carbon dioxide process as a promising approach for the preparation of inclusion complexes between flurbiprofen and methyl-β-cyclodextrin in solid-state.
CitationRudrangi SR., Kaialy W., Ghori MU., Trivedi V., Snowden MJ., Alexander BD. (2016) 'Solid-state flurbiprofen and methyl-β-cyclodextrin inclusion complexes prepared using a single-step, organic solvent-free supercritical fluid process', European Journal of Pharmaceuticals and Biopharmaceuticals, 104, 164-70. doi: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2016.04.024
JournalEuropean Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics
The following licence applies to the copyright and re-use of this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as https://creativecommons.org/CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
- Preparation of olanzapine and methyl-β-cyclodextrin complexes using a single-step, organic solvent-free supercritical fluid process: An approach to enhance the solubility and dissolution properties.
- Authors: Rudrangi SR, Trivedi V, Mitchell JC, Wicks SR, Alexander BD
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- Influence of the preparation method on the physicochemical properties of indomethacin and methyl-β-cyclodextrin complexes.
- Authors: Rudrangi SR, Bhomia R, Trivedi V, Vine GJ, Mitchell JC, Alexander BD, Wicks SR
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 20
- A pH-independent instantaneous release of flurbiprofen: a study of the preparation of complexes, their characterization and in vitro/in vivo evaluation.
- Authors: Wang HB, Yang FF, Gai XM, Cheng BC, Li JY, Pan H, Yang XG, Pan WS
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Development of fast-dissolving tablets of flurbiprofen-cyclodextrin complexes.
- Authors: Cirri M, Rangoni C, Maestrelli F, Corti G, Mura P
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Preparation of budesonide- and indomethacin-hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin (HPBCD) complexes using a single-step, organic-solvent-free supercritical fluid process.
- Authors: Bandi N, Wei W, Roberts CB, Kotra LP, Kompella UB
- Issue date: 2004 Oct