MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSTUDY DESIGN: Prospective, descriptive single-cohort study. OBJECTIVE: To assess the incidence and severity of injuries to a professional ballet company over 1 year. METHODS: Data for an elite-level ballet company of 52 professional dancers were collected by an in-house medical team using a time-loss injury definition. RESULTS: A total of 355 injuries were recorded, with an overall injury incidence of 4.4 injuries per 1000 hours (female, 4.1; male, 4.8; P>.05) and a mean of 6.8 injuries per dancer (female, 6.3; male, 7.3; P>.05). Mean injury severity was 7 days (female, 4; male, 9; P<.05). Most injuries were classified as overuse (64%; female, 68%; male, 60%; P>.05); mean severity of injury was 3 days for females and 9 days for males (P<.05). The percentage of traumatic injuries was 32% for females and 40% for males (P<.05); the corresponding severity was 6 and 10 days, respectively (P<.05). CONCLUSION: The relatively high number of injuries reported and the resulting loss of dance time support the need to introduce interventions to reduce the risk of injury in professional dancers.
CitationAllen, N., Brooks, J., Koutedakis, Y., and Wyon, M. (2012) 'Ballet injuries: injury incidence and severity over 1 year' Journal of Orthopaedic Sports and Physical Therapy, 42 (9) pp. 781-90 doi: 10.3109/02841851.2010.482565
PublisherLippincott, Williams & Wilkin
JournalThe Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- The Influence of Injury Definition on Injury Burden in Preprofessional Ballet and Contemporary Dancers.
- Authors: Kenny SJ, Palacios-Derflingher L, Whittaker JL, Emery CA
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Injuries in pre-professional ballet dancers: Incidence, characteristics and consequences.
- Authors: Ekegren CL, Quested R, Brodrick A
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Musculoskeletal Injury in Professional Dancers: Prevalence and Associated Factors: An International Cross-Sectional Study.
- Authors: Jacobs CL, Cassidy JD, Côté P, Boyle E, Ramel E, Ammendolia C, Hartvigsen J, Schwartz I
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- The effect of a comprehensive injury audit program on injury incidence in ballet: a 3-year prospective study.
- Authors: Allen N, Nevill AM, Brooks JH, Koutedakis Y, Wyon MA
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- A Survey of Injuries Affecting Pre-Professional Ballet Dancers.
- Authors: Caine D, Bergeron G, Goodwin BJ, Thomas J, Caine CG, Steinfeld S, Dyck K, André S
- Issue date: 2016