New resting energy expenditure prediction equations for patients with rheumatoid arthritis
AuthorsMetsios, Giorgos S.
Panoulas, Vasileios F.
Nevill, Alan M.
Douglas, Karen M. J.
Kita, Marina D.
Kitas, George D.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Resting energy expenditure (REE), one of the main components of total energy expenditure, can be measured via indirect calorimetry and/or predicted from equations. The latter may be misleading in RA, as they do not take into account the metabolic alterations occurring in RA. The objectives of this study are to evaluate the accuracy of widely used REE-predictive equations in RA patients against measured REE and to develop RA-specific equations. METHODS: We assessed REE (via indirect calorimetry and several predictive equations), fat-free mass (FFM; via bioelectrical impedance) and disease activity (CRP) in RA patients and healthy controls. Data from 60 RA patients (experimental group) were used to assess the accuracy of existing REE equations and to develop new equations. The new equations were validated in an independent cross-validation group of 22 RA patients. These two groups were merged and two final equations were developed. RESULTS: All equations significantly under-predicted measured REE (from 15% to 18.2%, all at P < 0.001) in the RA experimental group, but not in the control group. After both equations demonstrated a high validity in the cross-validation group, the new final REE prediction equations developed from the total RA sample (n = 82) were: Model 1: REE (kcal/day) = 126.1 x FFM(0.638) x CRP(0.045) (R(2) = 0.70) and Model 2: REE (kcal/day) = 598.8 x weight(0.47) x age(-0.29) x CRP(0.066) (R(2) = 0.62). CONCLUSION: The new equations provide an accurate prediction of REE in RA patients and could be used for clinical monitoring of resting metabolism of these patients without the requirement for specialized personnel.
CitationRheumatology, 47(4): 500-506
PublisherOxford University Press
- Blockade of tumour necrosis factor-alpha in rheumatoid arthritis: effects on components of rheumatoid cachexia.
- Authors: Metsios GS, Stavropoulos-Kalinoglou A, Douglas KM, Koutedakis Y, Nevill AM, Panoulas VF, Kita M, Kitas GD
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Accurate determination of energy needs in hospitalized patients.
- Authors: Boullata J, Williams J, Cottrell F, Hudson L, Compher C
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Prediction equation of resting energy expenditure in an adult Spanish population of obese adult population.
- Authors: de Luis DA, Aller R, Izaola O, Romero E
- Issue date: 2006
- Validation of predictive equations for resting energy expenditure in obese adolescents.
- Authors: Hofsteenge GH, Chinapaw MJ, Delemarre-van de Waal HA, Weijs PJ
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Influence of methods used in body composition analysis on the prediction of resting energy expenditure.
- Authors: Korth O, Bosy-Westphal A, Zschoche P, Glüer CC, Heller M, Müller MJ
- Issue date: 2007 May