The effect of ankle bracing on peak mediolateral ground reaction force during cutting maneuvers in collegiate male basketball players.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe literature suggests that one-third of ankle injuries sustained during a collegiate basketball season are due to the poor execution of dynamic cutting movements, leading to increased mediolateral force being placed on the unstable ankle. The objective of the present study was to examine the effect of ankle bracing on peak mediolateral ground reaction forces (PMGRF) during sidestep cutting motions in collegiate basketball players. Ten male collegiate basketball players, with no previous history of ankle trauma, performed sidestep cutting motions past a static defensive opponent at speeds between 4.5 and 5.5 meters per second under 2 different conditions, with and without ankle bracing. Peak mediolateral ground reaction force was recorded (as a unit of body weight) for each subject in both bracing and control conditions. The application of an Aircast brace significantly (P = 0.01) reduced peak mediolateral forces during cutting maneuvers compared with no brace. Results suggest that the application of an Aircast ankle brace significantly reduces PMGRF during cutting maneuvers around a static defensive opponent.
CitationThe effect of ankle bracing on peak mediolateral ground reaction force during cutting maneuvers in collegiate male basketball players. 2010, 24 (9):2429-33 J Strength Cond Res
JournalJournal of strength and conditioning research / National Strength & Conditioning Association
CollectionsSport, Exercise and Health Research Group
- Effect of External Ankle Support on Ankle and Knee Biomechanics During the Cutting Maneuver in Basketball Players.
- Authors: Klem NR, Wild CY, Williams SA, Ng L
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Ground reaction force in basketball cutting maneuvers with and without ankle bracing and taping.
- Authors: Sacco Ide C, Takahasi HY, Suda EY, Battistella LR, Kavamoto CA, Lopes JA, Vasconcelos JC
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 7
- Ground reaction forces and EMG activity with ankle bracing during inversion stress.
- Authors: Cordova ML, Armstrong CW, Rankin JM, Yeasting RA
- Issue date: 1998 Sep
- In-shoe plantar tri-axial stress profiles during maximum-effort cutting maneuvers.
- Authors: Cong Y, Lam WK, Cheung JT, Zhang M
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 18
- Ground reaction force data in functional ankle instability during two cutting movements.
- Authors: Dayakidis MK, Boudolos K
- Issue date: 2006 May