Development, validity, and reliability of a ballet-specific aerobic fitness test.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to develop and assess the reliability and validity of a multi-stage, ballet-specific aerobic fitness test to be used in a dance studio setting. The test consists of five stages, each four minutes long, that increase in intensity. It uses classical ballet movement of an intermediate-level of difficulty, thus emphasizing physiological demand rather than skill. The demand of each stage was determined by calculating the mean oxygen uptake during its final minute using a portable gas analyser. After an initial familiarization period, eight female subjects performed the test twice within seven days. The results showed significant differences in oxygen consumption between stages (p < 0.001), but not between trials. Pearson correlation co-efficients produced a very good linear relationship between trials (r = 0.998, p < 0.001). Bland-Altman reliability analysis revealed the 95% limits of agreement to be ± 6.2 ml·kg(-1)·min(-1), showing good agreement between trials. The oxygen uptake in our subjects equated positively to previous estimates for class and performance, confirming validity. It was concluded that the test is suitable for use among classical ballet dancers, with many possible applications.
CitationDevelopment, validity, and reliability of a ballet-specific aerobic fitness test. 2011, 15 (3):123-7 J Dance Med Sci
JournalJournal of dance medicine & science : official publication of the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science
- The development of a high intensity dance performance fitness test.
- Authors: Redding E, Weller P, Ehrenberg S, Irvine S, Quin E, Rafferty S, Wyon M, Cox C
- Issue date: 2009
- Physiological fitness and professional classical ballet performance: a brief review.
- Authors: Twitchett EA, Koutedakis Y, Wyon MA
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- A preseason cardiorespiratory profile of dancers in nine professional ballet and modern companies.
- Authors: Bronner S, Ojofeitimi S, Lora JB, Southwick H, Kulak MC, Gamboa J, Rooney M, Gilman G, Gibbs R
- Issue date: 2014
- A test to estimate VO2max in females using aerobic dance, heart rate, BMI, and age.
- Authors: Olson MS, Williford HN, Blessing DL, Wilson GD, Halpin G
- Issue date: 1995 Sep
- Oxygen consumption and heart rate responses to isolated ballet exercise sets.
- Authors: Rodrigues-Krause J, Dos Santos Cunha G, Alberton CL, Follmer B, Krause M, Reischak-Oliveira A
- Issue date: 2014