Effect of midsole thickness of dance shoes on dynamic postural stability.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLanding from jumps is one of the main causes of injury within dance. A number of studies have reported a negative effect of shoe midsole thickness on lower limb kinematics during running due to the reduction in afferent sensory outputs from the foot's epithelium. The purpose of this study was to examine the influence of varying midsole thicknesses in dance shoes on dynamic postural stability during a single-leg landing. Twenty-eight female undergraduate dance participants volunteered for the study. They carried out three trials under four conditions: barefoot and in ballet flats (2 mm midsole thickness), jazz shoes (7 mm), and dance sneakers (30 mm). The task consisted of a single-leg forward jump over a hurdle at 50% of their maximal vertical jump height, landing on a force platform, and balancing for 3 seconds. The stability indices for vertical stability (VSI), anterior-posterior stability (APSI), medial-lateral stability (MLSI), and dynamic postural stability (DPSI) were calculated using Wikstrom's revised method. Significant differences were reported between the midsole thicknesses for both DPSI and VSI (p<0.01). No statistical differences were noted for the indices SPSI or MLSI. The present data agree with the running studies in that increased midsole thickness has a negative influence on landing stability.
CitationEffect of midsole thickness of dance shoes on dynamic postural stability. 2013, 28 (4):195-8 Med Probl Perform Art
PublisherHanley & Belfus, Incorporated
JournalMedical problems of performing artists
CollectionsSport, Exercise and Health Research Group
- The effects of different shoes on plantar forces in Irish dance.
- Authors: Trégouët P, Merland F
- Issue date: 2013
- Minimalist, standard and no footwear on static and dynamic postural stability following jump landing.
- Authors: Zech A, Argubi-Wollesen A, Rahlf AL
- Issue date: 2015
- Footwear in classical ballet: a study of pressure distribution and related foot injury in the adolescent dancer.
- Authors: Pearson SJ, Whitaker AF
- Issue date: 2012
- Is midsole thickness a key parameter for the running pattern?
- Authors: Chambon N, Delattre N, Guéguen N, Berton E, Rao G
- Issue date: 2014
- Effect of Footwear on Dynamic Stability during Single-leg Jump Landings.
- Authors: Bowser BJ, Rose WC, McGrath R, Salerno J, Wallace J, Davis IS
- Issue date: 2017 Jun