Effect of material deprivation on Epstein-Barr virus infection in Hodgkin's disease in the West Midlands.
AuthorsFlavell, Joanne R.
Young, Lawrence S.
Murray, Paul G.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have used Townsend scores from postcode data to compare levels of material deprivation and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-positivity for 223 patients diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease (HD) in the period 1981-1997. The presence of EBV in HD tumours was determined using in situ hybridization to target the abundantly expressed EBV early RNAs. EBV was detected in the malignant Hodgkin and Reed-Sternberg cells in 47/223 HD cases (21%). There was found to be a tendency for higher Townsend scores (indicative of higher levels of material deprivation) in EBV-positive HD patients, but this association was not statistically significant. When various subgroups of patients from the study were examined separately the indication of higher Townsend scores in EBV-positive patients was found to be more marked for patients with mixed cellularity disease (P = 0.09) and for females (P = 0.03). The results of this study suggest that differences in the level of material deprivation are important in determining the likelihood of EBV-positive HD in the UK, particularly for certain subgroups of patients. It is not known what specific socioeconomic factors are responsible for these differences, although alterations in the timing or rate of primary EBV infection, or decline in the level of EBV-specific immunity, may be important. (Cancer Research UK)
CitationBritish Journal of Cancer, 80(3-4): 604-608
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Epstein-Barr virus expression in Hodgkin's disease in Jordan.
- Authors: Almasri NM, Khalidi HS
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Epstein-Barr virus-associated Hodgkin's disease: epidemiologic characteristics in international data.
- Authors: Glaser SL, Lin RJ, Stewart SL, Ambinder RF, Jarrett RF, Brousset P, Pallesen G, Gulley ML, Khan G, O'Grady J, Hummel M, Preciado MV, Knecht H, Chan JK, Claviez A
- Issue date: 1997 Feb 7
- A pathologic study of Hodgkin's disease in Korea and its association with Epstein-Barr virus infection.
- Authors: Huh J, Park C, Juhng S, Kim CE, Poppema S, Kim C
- Issue date: 1996 Mar 1
- Hodgkin's disease in Mexico. Prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus sequences and correlations with histologic subtype.
- Authors: Zarate-Osorno A, Roman LN, Kingma DW, Meneses-Garcia A, Jaffe ES
- Issue date: 1995 Mar 15
- Association of the Epstein-Barr virus with Hodgkin's disease in Southern Israel.
- Authors: Benharroch D, Brousset P, Goldstein J, Prinsloo I, Rabinovitch D, Shendler Y, Ariad S, Levy A, Delsol G, Gopas J
- Issue date: 1997 Apr 10