Synergistic antitumour effect of a combination of toremifene and interferon-alpha on ZR-75-1 human breast cancer cells: dependence on interferon-alpha subtype.
AbstractWe investigated the effect of toremifene, interferon-alpha2a, interferon-alpha2b and interferon-alpha2c, singly and in combination for their effect on the growth of ZR-75-1 human breast cancer cells. Median effect analysis was used to determine synergistic or additive effects. Anti-proliferative studies showed that the growth of ZR-75-1 cells was inhibited to a greater extent by combination treatment with toremifene plus interferon-alpha2a, resulting in a synergistic interaction (CI <1) for all concentrations tested. A combination of toremifene plus interferon-alpha2b resulted in a synergistic interaction (CI <1) for the two highest concentrations of toremifene (10(-6) and 10(-7) M) and an additive effect (CI approximately equal to 1) for the lower concentrations (10(-8) to 10(-10) M). When toremifene was combined with interferon-alpha2c no additive or synergistic interaction was determined.
CitationOncology Reports, 9(2): 379-382
PublisherSpandidos Publications Ltd
- Down-regulation of nitric oxide production by droloxifene and toremifene in human breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Martin JH, Symonds A, Chohan S
- Issue date: 2003 Jul-Aug
- [The in vitro combination-effect of toremifene with CAF (cyclophosphamide, adriamycin, 5-fluorouracil) on growth of various human mammary carcinomas].
- Authors: Kuroiwa S, Maruyama S, Okada M, Abe F
- Issue date: 1998 Aug
- Additive and synergistic effects of a novel antiestrogen, toremifene (Fc-1157a), and human interferons on estrogen responsive MCF-7 cells in vitro.
- Authors: Kangas L, Nieminen AL, Cantell K
- Issue date: 1985
- [Synergistic effect of toremifene and cisplatin on human lung cancer cell line A549].
- Authors: Zhang X, Li Q, Han Y, Liu Z
- Issue date: 2002 Nov
- Additive and synergistic antitumor effects with toremifene and interferons.
- Authors: Kangas L, Cantell K, Schellekens H
- Issue date: 1990 Jun 22