Simultaneous qualitative and quantitative analyses of the major constituents in the rhizome of Ligusticum Chuanxiong using HPLC-DAD-MS.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn HPLC-DAD-MS method was developed for the qualitative and quantitative analysis of the major constituents in Chuanxiong (the dried rhizome of Ligusticum chuanxiong Hort). Twenty compounds including phenolic constituents, alkylphthalides and phthalide dimers were identified using online ESI-MS and comparisons with literature data and standard compounds, and six of them were quantified by HPLC-DAD simultaneously. A comprehensive validation of the method including sensitivity, linearity, repeatability and recovery was conducted. The linear regressions were acquired with R(2) > 0.99 and limit of detection (LOD, S/N = 3) values were between 1.5 and 2.5 ng. The repeatability was evaluated by intra- and inter-day assays, and relative standard deviation (RSD) values were reported within 1.87%. The recovery studies for the quantified compounds were observed in the range of 96.36-102.37% with RSD values less than 2.63%. These phenolic constituents and alkylphthalides, the major constituents in Chuanxiong, are generally regarded as the index for the quality assessment of this herb. The overall procedure is accurate and reproducible, which is considered suitable for the qualitative and quantitative analyses of a large number of Chuanxiong samples.
CitationChemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 54(2): 255-259
JournalChemical & Pharmaceutical Bulletin
- Identification and comparative determination of senkyunolide A in traditional Chinese medicinal plants Ligusticum chuanxiong and Angelica sinensis by HPLC coupled with DAD and ESI-MS.
- Authors: Yi T, Leung KS, Lu GH, Zhang H, Chan K
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Comparative analysis of Ligusticum chuanxiong and related umbelliferous medicinal plants by high performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Yi T, Leung KS, Lu GH, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Identification and determination of the major constituents in traditional Chinese medicine Si-Wu-Tang by HPLC coupled with DAD and ESI-MS.
- Authors: Zhang H, Shen P, Cheng Y
- Issue date: 2004 Feb 18
- Simultaneous determination of five main active constituents of Erigeron multiradiatus by HPLC-DAD-MS.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Sun W, Luo P, Wu L, Ye L, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 4
- HPLC-coupled spectroscopic techniques (UV, MS, NMR) for the structure elucidation of phthalides in Ligusticum chuanxiong.
- Authors: Zschocke S, Klaiber I, Bauer R, Vogler B
- Issue date: 2005