Vitamin E correlates inversely with non-transferrin-bound iron in sickle cell disease.
Phillips, Jonathan D.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDecreased serum vitamin E levels are found in homozygous sickle cell disease (SCD). Excessive transfusions may lead high non-transferrin-bound iron (NTBI). Hypothesizing a relationship between the two, vitamin E (measured using high performance liquid chromatography) was significantly lower in 30 SCD patients than in 30 age-/sex-matched controls (P < 0.001), but NTBI (bleomycin assay) was higher (P < 0.001). Vitamin E was lower in 10 transfused patients than in 20 non-transfused patients (P < 0.001) with a significant inverse correlation between the NTBI and vitamin E (r = -0.58, P < 0.001). NTBI associated with iron overload in SCD may increase the potential for oxidative damage and low vitamin E activity may compound this effect.
CitationBritish Journal of Haematology, 114(4): 917-919
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Reduced vitamin E antioxidant capacity in sickle cell disease is related to transfusion status but not to sickle crisis.
- Authors: Marwah SS, Blann AD, Rea C, Phillips JD, Wright J, Bareford D
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Non-transferrin-bound labile plasma iron and iron overload in sickle-cell disease: a comparative study between sickle-cell disease and beta-thalassemic patients.
- Authors: Koren A, Fink D, Admoni O, Tennenbaum-Rakover Y, Levin C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 1
- Increased levels of soluble P-selectin correlate with iron overload in sickle cell disease.
- Authors: Blann AD, Marwah SS, Cobley AJ, Bareford D
- Issue date: 2007
- Mechanisms of plasma non-transferrin bound iron generation: insights from comparing transfused diamond blackfan anaemia with sickle cell and thalassaemia patients.
- Authors: Porter JB, Walter PB, Neumayr LD, Evans P, Bansal S, Garbowski M, Weyhmiller MG, Harmatz PR, Wood JC, Miller JL, Byrnes C, Weiss G, Seifert M, Grosse R, Grabowski D, Schmidt A, Fischer R, Nielsen P, Niemeyer C, Vichinsky E
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Nontransferrin-bound iron in transfused patients with sickle cell disease.
- Authors: Inati A, Musallam KM, Cappellini MD, Duca L, Taher AT
- Issue date: 2011 Apr