A pilot study to determine the effectiveness of garlic oil capsules in the treatment of dyspeptic patients with Helicobacter pylori.
AuthorsMcNulty, Cliodna A. M.
Wilson, Melanie P.
O'Gara, Elizabeth A.
Maslin, David J.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Resistance of Helicobacter pylori to clarithromycin and metronidazole is now found worldwide. Steam-distilled garlic oil has in vitro activity against H. pylori and may be a useful alternative treatment strategy. MATERIALS AND METHODS: In this pilot study dyspeptic patients with positive serology for H. pylori confirmed by 13C urea breath test (UBT), at 0 and 2 weeks, were enrolled. Treatment consisted of one 4 mg garlic oil capsule with a meal four times per day for 14 days. H. pylori eradication was defined as a negative UBT at both follow-up appointments. Suppression was defined as a 50% fall in 13C excess between baseline and follow-up 1. RESULTS: Five patients completed the study. There was no evidence of either eradication or suppression of H. pylori or symptom improvement whilst taking garlic oil. CONCLUSION: These negative results show that, within the gastric milieu, garlic oil at this dose does not inhibit H. pylori. A higher dose administered for a longer time-period may be effective. Antibiotics are usually combined with a proton-pump inhibitor or bismuth salt, as the only antibiotic with any in vivo activity against H. pylori in monotherapy is clarithromycin. A proton pump inhibitor raises gastric pH and, by increasing bacterial division, may increase the in vivo activity of garlic oil. This may be worth pursuing in a future trial.
CitationHelicobacter, 6(3): 249-253
- Comparison of sequential and standard triple-drug regimen for Helicobacter pylori eradication: a 14-day, open-label, randomized, prospective, parallel-arm study in adult patients with nonulcer dyspepsia.
- Authors: Uygun A, Kadayifci A, Yesilova Z, Safali M, Ilgan S, Karaeren N
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Ranitidine bismuth citrate with clarithromycin alone or with metronidazole for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori.
- Authors: Bardhan KD, Morton D, Perry MJ, Sanders DS, Morris P, Rowland A, Thompson M, Mitchell TR, Roberts PM
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- Garlic oil and Helicobacter pylori infection.
- Authors: Aydin A, Ersöz G, Tekesin O, Akçiçek E, Tuncyürek M
- Issue date: 2000 Feb
- Eradication Rate of Helicobacter pylori on the US-Mexico Border Using the Urea Breath Test.
- Authors: Liu RP, Romero R, Sarosiek J, Dodoo C, Dwivedi AK, Zuckerman MJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- One-week ranitidine bismuth citrate in combinations with metronidazole, amoxycillin and clarithromycin in the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: the RBC-MACH study.
- Authors: Sung JJ, Chan FK, Wu JC, Leung WK, Suen R, Ling TK, Lee YT, Cheng AF, Chung SC
- Issue date: 1999 Aug