The potential role of human endogenous retrovirus K10 in the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis: a preliminary study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsEjtehadi, H. Davari
Freimanis, Graham L.
Nelson, Paul N.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To examine whether human endogenous retrovirus K10 is associated with autoimmune rheumatic disease. DESIGN: A novel multiplex reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) system was developed to investigate HERV-K10 mRNA expression in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. METHODS: 40 patients with rheumatoid arthritis, 17 with osteoarthritis, and 27 healthy individuals were recruited and total RNA was extracted from peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and analysed using multiplex RT-PCR for the level of HERV-K10 gag mRNA expression. Southern blot and DNA sequencing confirmed the authenticity of the PCR products. RESULTS: Using the histidyl tRNA synthetase (HtRNAS) gene as a housekeeping gene in the optimised multiplex RT-PCR, a significantly higher level of HERV-K10 gag mRNA expression was found in rheumatoid arthritis than in osteoarthritis (p = 0.01) or in the healthy controls (p = 0.02). CONCLUSION: There is enhanced mRNA expression of the HERV-K10 gag region in rheumatoid arthritis compared with osteoarthritis or healthy controls. This could contribute to the pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis.
CitationAnnals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 65 (5): 612-616
JournalAnnals of the Rheumatic Diseases
- Effects of UVA1 Phototherapy on Expression of Human Endogenous Retroviral Sequence (HERV)-K10 gag in Morphea: A Preliminary Study.
- Authors: Kowalczyk MJ, Teresiak-Mikołajczak E, Dańczak-Pazdrowska A, Żaba R, Adamski Z, Osmola-Mańkowska A
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 28
- Human endogenous retrovirus HERV-K(HML-2) Rec expression and transcriptional activities in normal and rheumatoid arthritis synovia.
- Authors: Ehlhardt S, Seifert M, Schneider J, Ojak A, Zang KD, Mehraein Y
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- A novel multiplex RT-PCR system detects human endogenous retrovirus-K in breast cancer.
- Authors: Ejthadi HD, Martin JH, Junying J, Roden DA, Lahiri M, Warren P, Murray PG, Nelson PN
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Quantitative analyses of messenger RNA of human endogenous retrovirus in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Ogasawara H, Naito T, Kaneko H, Hishikawa T, Sekigawa I, Hashimoto H, Kaneko Y, Yamamoto N, Maruyama N, Yamamoto N
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- A role for human endogenous retrovirus-K (HML-2) in rheumatoid arthritis: investigating mechanisms of pathogenesis.
- Authors: Freimanis G, Hooley P, Ejtehadi HD, Ali HA, Veitch A, Rylance PB, Alawi A, Axford J, Nevill A, Murray PG, Nelson PN
- Issue date: 2010 Jun