The identification of a novel alternatively spliced form of the MBD4 DNA glycosylase.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMethyl-CpG binding protein 4 (MBD4) is a mismatch-specific G:T and G:U DNA glycosylase. During an analysis of MBD4 expression in HeLa cells we noted the presence of an unexpectedly short reverse transcribed product. This cDNA lacked the region encoding the methyl-binding domain and exon 3 of MBD4 but retained the glycosylase domain. Sequence comparison indicates the existence of a previously unreported cryptic splice site in the MBD4 genomic sequence thus illuminating a mechanism whereby a glycosylase acquired a methyl-binding capacity, thus targeting potential mutagenic CpG sites. In vitro assays of this highly purified species, refolded in arginine rich conditions, confirmed that this unique, short version of MBD4 possessed uracil DNA glycosylase but not thymine DNA glycosylase activity. We conclude that the identification of a transcript encoding a short version of MBD4 indicates that MBD4 expression may be more complex than previously reported, and is worthy of further investigation.
CitationOncology Reports, 17(1): 111-116
PublisherSpandidos Publications Ltd
- Mismatch repair in methylated DNA. Structure and activity of the mismatch-specific thymine glycosylase domain of methyl-CpG-binding protein MBD4.
- Authors: Wu P, Qiu C, Sohail A, Zhang X, Bhagwat AS, Cheng X
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 14
- 5-Methylcytosine DNA glycosylase activity is also present in the human MBD4 (G/T mismatch glycosylase) and in a related avian sequence.
- Authors: Zhu B, Zheng Y, Angliker H, Schwarz S, Thiry S, Siegmann M, Jost JP
- Issue date: 2000 Nov 1
- Crystal structure of human methyl-binding domain IV glycosylase bound to abasic DNA.
- Authors: Manvilla BA, Maiti A, Begley MC, Toth EA, Drohat AC
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 13
- Excision of thymine and 5-hydroxymethyluracil by the MBD4 DNA glycosylase domain: structural basis and implications for active DNA demethylation.
- Authors: Hashimoto H, Zhang X, Cheng X
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Crystal structure of the mismatch-specific thymine glycosylase domain of human methyl-CpG-binding protein MBD4.
- Authors: Zhang W, Liu Z, Crombet L, Amaya MF, Liu Y, Zhang X, Kuang W, Ma P, Niu L, Qi C
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 2