The influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: A controlled study.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Athletes who train indoors during the winter months exhibit low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations due to a lack of sunlight exposure. This has been linked to impaired exercise performance. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of oral vitamin D3 supplementation on selected physical fitness and injury parameters in elite ballet dancers. DESIGN: Controlled prospective study. METHODS: 24 elite classical ballet dancers (intervention n=17; control n=7) participated in a controlled 4-month oral supplementation of vitamin D3 (2000IU per day). Isometric muscular strength and vertical jump height were measured pre and post intervention. Injury occurrence during the intervention period was also recorded by the in-house medical team. Repeated measures ANOVA and Mann-Whitney-U statistical tests were used and significance was set at p≤0.05. RESULTS: Significant increases were noted for the intervention group for isometric strength (18.7%, p<0.01) and vertical jump (7.1%, p<0.01). The intervention group also sustained significantly less injuries than the controls during the study period (p<0.01). CONCLUSIONS: Oral supplementation of vitamin D3 during the winter months has beneficial effects on muscular performance and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers.
CitationThe influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: A controlled study. 2013: J Sci Med Sport
JournalJournal of science and medicine in sport / Sports Medicine Australia
- Self-Directed Oral Vitamin D Supplementation in Professional Ballet Dancers: A Randomized Controlled Trial Pilot Study.
- Authors: Rowan FE, Benjamin-Laing H, Kennedy A, De Medici A, Beasley I, Haddad FS
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1
- Vitamin D status in professional ballet dancers: winter vs. summer.
- Authors: Wolman R, Wyon MA, Koutedakis Y, Nevill AM, Eastell R, Allen N
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Correcting Vitamin D Insufficiency Improves Some But Not All Aspects of Physical Performance During Winter Training in Taekwondo Athletes.
- Authors: Jung HC, Seo MW, Lee S, Jung SW, Song JK
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 1
- Vitamin D status and musculoskeletal health in adolescent male ballet dancers a pilot study.
- Authors: Ducher G, Kukuljan S, Hill B, Garnham AP, Nowson CA, Kimlin MG, Cook J
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Acute Effects of Vitamin D3 Supplementation on Muscle Strength in Judoka Athletes: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Trial.
- Authors: Wyon MA, Wolman R, Nevill AM, Cloak R, Metsios GS, Gould D, Ingham A, Koutedakis Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jul