The influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: A controlled study.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Athletes who train indoors during the winter months exhibit low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations due to a lack of sunlight exposure. This has been linked to impaired exercise performance. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of oral vitamin D3 supplementation on selected physical fitness and injury parameters in elite ballet dancers. DESIGN: Controlled prospective study. METHODS: 24 elite classical ballet dancers (intervention n=17; control n=7) participated in a controlled 4-month oral supplementation of vitamin D3 (2000IU per day). Isometric muscular strength and vertical jump height were measured pre and post intervention. Injury occurrence during the intervention period was also recorded by the in-house medical team. Repeated measures ANOVA and Mann-Whitney-U statistical tests were used and significance was set at p≤0.05. RESULTS: Significant increases were noted for the intervention group for isometric strength (18.7%, p<0.01) and vertical jump (7.1%, p<0.01). The intervention group also sustained significantly less injuries than the controls during the study period (p<0.01). CONCLUSIONS: Oral supplementation of vitamin D3 during the winter months has beneficial effects on muscular performance and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers.
CitationThe influence of winter vitamin D supplementation on muscle function and injury occurrence in elite ballet dancers: A controlled study. 2013: J Sci Med Sport
JournalJournal of science and medicine in sport / Sports Medicine Australia
- Vitamin D status in professional ballet dancers: winter vs. summer.
- Authors: Wolman R, Wyon MA, Koutedakis Y, Nevill AM, Eastell R, Allen N
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Vitamin D status and musculoskeletal health in adolescent male ballet dancers a pilot study.
- Authors: Ducher G, Kukuljan S, Hill B, Garnham AP, Nowson CA, Kimlin MG, Cook J
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Acute Effects of Vitamin D3 Supplementation on Muscle Strength in Judoka Athletes: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Trial.
- Authors: Wyon MA, Wolman R, Nevill AM, Cloak R, Metsios GS, Gould D, Ingham A, Koutedakis Y
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- The impact of vitamin D3 supplementation on muscle function among HIV-infected children and young adults: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Brown JC, Schall JI, Rutstein RM, Leonard MB, Zemel BS, Stallings VA
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Do increases in selected fitness parameters affect the aesthetic aspects of classical ballet performance?
- Authors: Twitchett EA, Angioi M, Koutedakis Y, Wyon M
- Issue date: 2011 Mar