Resistin down-regulates insulin receptor expression, and modulates cell viability in rodent pancreatic beta-cells.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe adipokine resistin is known to induce insulin resistance in rodent tissues. Increases in adipose tissue mass are known to have a negative effect on pancreatic beta-cell function, although the mechanisms are poorly understood. This study investigated the effects of resistin on insulin secretion, insulin receptor expression and cell viability in pancreatic beta-cells. BTC-6 or BRIN-BD11 cells were treated for 24h with resistin, and insulin receptor expression, insulin secretion and cell viability were measured. Incubation with 40ng/ml resistin caused significant decreases in insulin receptor mRNA and protein expression, but did not affect insulin secretion. At low concentrations, resistin caused significant increases in cell viability. These data implicate resistin as a factor that may regulate beta-cell function/viability, and suggests a potential mechanism by which increased adiposity causes beta-cell dysfunction.
CitationFEBS Letters, 581(17): 3273-3276
- Toll-like receptor agonist induced changes in clonal rat BRIN-BD11 beta-cell insulin secretion and signal transduction.
- Authors: Kiely A, Robinson A, McClenaghan NH, Flatt PR, Newsholme P
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Visfatin regulates insulin secretion, insulin receptor signalling and mRNA expression of diabetes-related genes in mouse pancreatic beta-cells.
- Authors: Brown JE, Onyango DJ, Ramanjaneya M, Conner AC, Patel ST, Dunmore SJ, Randeva HS
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Long-term effects of central leptin and resistin on body weight, insulin resistance, and beta-cell function and mass by the modulation of hypothalamic leptin and insulin signaling.
- Authors: Park S, Hong SM, Sung SR, Jung HK
- Issue date: 2008 Feb
- Resistin is produced by rat pancreatic islets and regulates insulin and glucagon in vitro secretion.
- Authors: Sassek M, Pruszynska-Oszmalek E, Kołodziejski PA, Szczepankiewicz D, Kaczmarek P, Wieloch M, Kurto K, Nogowski L, Nowak KW, Strowski MZ, Mackowiak P
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- Insulin resistance causes increased beta-cell mass but defective glucose-stimulated insulin secretion in a murine model of type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Asghar Z, Yau D, Chan F, Leroith D, Chan CB, Wheeler MB
- Issue date: 2006 Jan