Leptin decreases apoptosis and alters BCL-2 : Bax ratio in clonal rodent pancreatic beta-cells.
AbstractAIMS/HYPOTHESIS: The adipocyte derived peptide hormone leptin is known to regulate apoptosis and cell viability in several cells and tissues, as well as having several pancreatic islet beta-cell specific effects such as inhibition of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. This study investigated the effects of leptin upon apoptosis induced by serum depletion and on expression of the apoptotic regulators B-cell leukaemia 2 gene product (BCL-2) and BCL2-associated X protein (Bax) in the glucose-responsive BRIN-BD11 beta-cell line. METHODS: BRIN-BD11 cells were cultured in RPMI 1640 and subsequently serum depleted +/- leptin (10 and 50 ng/mL) for 24 h. Cell viability and apoptosis were measured using a modified MTS assay and TUNEL/YO-PRO-1 assays, respectively. BCL-2 and Bax expression were measured by real-time PCR and Western blotting. RESULTS: Leptin caused a reduction in serum-depleted apoptosis, although it failed to have any effect on the overall cell viability, causing a 68% shift from apoptosis to necrosis. Leptin significantly increased the level of BCL-2 mRNA expression (150% compared to serum depletion alone), without altering Bax mRNA expression. At the protein level, leptin increased BCL-2 and decreased Bax, altering the BCL-2 : Bax ratio. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that leptin reduces apoptosis in beta-cells at physiological concentrations, possibly via its ability to up-regulate BCL-2 and Bax expression.
CitationDiabetes/Metabolism Research Reviews, 23(6): 497-502
- Pinocembrin prevents glutamate-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y neuronal cells via decrease of bax/bcl-2 ratio.
- Authors: Gao M, Zhang WC, Liu QS, Hu JJ, Liu GT, Du GH
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 4
- Dexamethasone protects organ of corti explants against tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced loss of auditory hair cells and alters the expression levels of apoptosis-related genes.
- Authors: Dinh CT, Haake S, Chen S, Hoang K, Nong E, Eshraghi AA, Balkany TJ, Van De Water TR
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 19
- Estradiol increases the Bax/Bcl-2 ratio and induces apoptosis in the anterior pituitary gland.
- Authors: Zaldivar V, Magri ML, Zárate S, Jaita G, Eijo G, Radl D, Ferraris J, Pisera D, Seilicovich A
- Issue date: 2009
- Anti-beta-2 glycoprotein I antibodies affect Bcl-2 and Bax trophoblast expression without evidence of apoptosis.
- Authors: di Simone N, Castellani R, Raschi E, Borghi MO, Meroni PL, Caruso A
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Coenzyme Q10 prevents human lens epithelial cells from light-induced apoptotic cell death by reducing oxidative stress and stabilizing BAX / Bcl-2 ratio.
- Authors: Kernt M, Hirneiss C, Neubauer AS, Ulbig MW, Kampik A
- Issue date: 2010 May