Leptin decreases apoptosis and alters BCL-2 : Bax ratio in clonal rodent pancreatic beta-cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS/HYPOTHESIS: The adipocyte derived peptide hormone leptin is known to regulate apoptosis and cell viability in several cells and tissues, as well as having several pancreatic islet beta-cell specific effects such as inhibition of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. This study investigated the effects of leptin upon apoptosis induced by serum depletion and on expression of the apoptotic regulators B-cell leukaemia 2 gene product (BCL-2) and BCL2-associated X protein (Bax) in the glucose-responsive BRIN-BD11 beta-cell line. METHODS: BRIN-BD11 cells were cultured in RPMI 1640 and subsequently serum depleted +/- leptin (10 and 50 ng/mL) for 24 h. Cell viability and apoptosis were measured using a modified MTS assay and TUNEL/YO-PRO-1 assays, respectively. BCL-2 and Bax expression were measured by real-time PCR and Western blotting. RESULTS: Leptin caused a reduction in serum-depleted apoptosis, although it failed to have any effect on the overall cell viability, causing a 68% shift from apoptosis to necrosis. Leptin significantly increased the level of BCL-2 mRNA expression (150% compared to serum depletion alone), without altering Bax mRNA expression. At the protein level, leptin increased BCL-2 and decreased Bax, altering the BCL-2 : Bax ratio. CONCLUSIONS: We conclude that leptin reduces apoptosis in beta-cells at physiological concentrations, possibly via its ability to up-regulate BCL-2 and Bax expression.
CitationDiabetes/Metabolism Research Reviews, 23(6): 497-502
- Effects of C-peptide on isolated human pancreatic islet cells.
- Authors: Bugliani M, Torri S, Lupi R, Del Guerra S, Grupillo M, Del Chiaro M, Mosca F, Boggi U, Del Prato S, Marchetti P
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Pinocembrin prevents glutamate-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y neuronal cells via decrease of bax/bcl-2 ratio.
- Authors: Gao M, Zhang WC, Liu QS, Hu JJ, Liu GT, Du GH
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 4
- Dexamethasone protects organ of corti explants against tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced loss of auditory hair cells and alters the expression levels of apoptosis-related genes.
- Authors: Dinh CT, Haake S, Chen S, Hoang K, Nong E, Eshraghi AA, Balkany TJ, Van De Water TR
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 19
- Leptin attenuates follicular apoptosis and accelerates the onset of puberty in immature rats.
- Authors: Almog B, Gold R, Tajima K, Dantes A, Salim K, Rubinstein M, Barkan D, Homburg R, Lessing JB, Nevo N, Gertler A, Amsterdam A
- Issue date: 2001 Oct 25
- Glucose enhances mesangial cell apoptosis.
- Authors: Khera T, Martin J, Riley S, Steadman R, Phillips AO
- Issue date: 2006 Jun