DcAGP1, a secreted arabinogalactan protein, is related to a family of basic proline-rich proteins.
AuthorsBaldwin, Timothy C.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA cDNA corresponding to the core protein of an immunoaffinity-purified arabinogalactan protein (AGP) secreted aucus carota (carrot) cells in liquid culture was isolated. This cDNA, DcAGP1, encodes a new class of non-classical' AGP with strong similarity to a family of basic proline-rich proteins. The protein is rich in proline (17%), alanine (10%) and lysine (11%) and contains four distinct domains: a signal peptide, a proline-rich domain, a histidine-rich basic domain and a cysteine-containing 'PAC' domain that is found in a range of other cell wall proteins. The protein contains several sequence motifs found in otherwise unrelated cell wall proteins, but also displays some unique features. Northern blot analyses show that while the DcAGP1 transcript is abundant in the suspension-culture cells from which the AGP was obtained; in carrot seedlings the gene is only expressed at low levels in the roots and it is neither wound- nor stress-inducible. Furthermore, northern and western blot analyses demonstrate that the core polypeptide of DcAGP1 is differentially glycosylated in two different carrot suspension cultures. The unusual features of the protein sequence suggest that the DcAGP1 protein is a member of a family of basic proline-rich proteins defined by the C-terminal PAC domain, and the possible function(s) of the DcAGP1 protein is considered in the light of current views on AGP structure and function.
CitationPlant molecular biology, 45(4): 421-435
DescriptionMetadata only. Full text available at links above.
- Molecular cloning of cDNAs encoding the protein backbones of arabinogalactan-proteins from the filtrate of suspension-cultured cells of Pyrus communis and Nicotiana alata.
- Authors: Mau SL, Chen CG, Pu ZY, Moritz RL, Simpson RJ, Bacic A, Clarke AE
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Characterization of a cDNA encoding the protein moiety of a putative arabinogalactan protein from Lycopersicon esculentum.
- Authors: Pogson BJ, Davies C
- Issue date: 1995 May
- Molecular characterization of a novel protein disulfide isomerase in carrot.
- Authors: Xu ZJ, Ueda K, Masuda K, Ono M, Inoue M
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 6
- Characterization and cDNA cloning of two glycine- and histidine-rich antimicrobial peptides from the roots of shepherd's purse, Capsella bursa-pastoris.
- Authors: Park CJ, Park CB, Hong SS, Lee HS, Lee SY, Kim SC
- Issue date: 2000 Sep
- A carrot cDNA encoding an atypical protein kinase homologous to plant calcium-dependent protein kinases.
- Authors: Lindzen E, Choi JH
- Issue date: 1995 Aug