Elucidation of the mechanisms underlying the angiogenic effects of ginsenoside Rg(1) in vivo and in vitro.
AuthorsYue, Patrick Y. K.
Wong, Daisy Y. L.
Mak, Nai Ki
Leung, Hei Wun
Chan, Kelvin C.
Fan, T. P. David
Wong, Ricky N. S.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe major active constituents of ginseng are ginsenosides, and Rg(1) is a predominant compound of the total extract. Recent studies have demonstrated that Rg(1) can promote angiogenesis in vivo and in vitro. In this study, we used a DNA microarray technology to elucidate the mechanisms of action of Rg(1). We report that Rg(1) induces the proliferation of HUVECs, monitored using [(3)H]-thymidine incorporation and Trypan blue exclusion assays. Furthermore, Rg(1) (150-600 nM) also showed an enhanced tube forming inducing effect on the HUVEC. Rg(1) was also demonstrated to promote angiogenesis in an in vivo Matrigel plug assay, and increase endothelial sprouting in the ex vivo rat aorta ring assay. Differential gene expression profile of HUVEC following treatment with Rg(1) revealed the expression of genes related to cell adhesion, migration and cytoskeleton, including RhoA, RhoB, IQGAP1, CALM2, Vav2 and LAMA4. Our results suggest that Rg(1) can promote angiogenesis in multiple models, and this effect is partly due to the modulation of genes that are involved in the cytoskeletal dynamics, cell-cell adhesion and migration.
CitationAngiogenesis, 8(3): 205-216
- Angiogenic evaluation of ginsenoside Rg 1 from Panax ginseng in fluorescent transgenic mice.
- Authors: Lin KM, Hsu CH, Rajasekaran S
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Stability of angiogenic agents, ginsenoside Rg1 and Re, isolated from Panax ginseng: in vitro and in vivo studies.
- Authors: Yu LC, Chen SC, Chang WC, Huang YC, Lin KM, Lai PH, Sung HW
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 10
- The angiosuppressive effects of 20(R)- ginsenoside Rg3.
- Authors: Yue PY, Wong DY, Wu PK, Leung PY, Mak NK, Yeung HW, Liu L, Cai Z, Jiang ZH, Fan TP, Wong RN
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 14
- Stereoisomers ginsenosides-20(S)-Rg₃ and -20(R)-Rg₃ differentially induce angiogenesis through peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma.
- Authors: Kwok HH, Guo GL, Lau JK, Cheng YK, Wang JR, Jiang ZH, Keung MH, Mak NK, Yue PY, Wong RN
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 1
- Cellular uptake of ginsenosides in Korean white ginseng and red ginseng and their apoptotic activities in human breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Lee JI, Ha YW, Choi TW, Kim HJ, Kim SM, Jang HJ, Choi JH, Choi MH, Chung BC, Sethi G, Kim SH, Ahn KS, Choi SH, Shim BS, Ahn KS
- Issue date: 2011 Jan