The prevalence and clinical significance of autoantibodies to plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 in systemic lupus erythematosus.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsBates, Ruth L.
Payne, Sarah J.
Nelson, Paul N.
Murphy, John J.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe have recently described the novel autoantigen plasminogen activator inhibitor (PAI-1) in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence and clinical significance of anti-PAI-1 autoantibodies in patients with SLE. Autoantibodies to recombinant PAI-1 were measured in retrospective sera of 48 lupus patients by immunoassay in order to assess their clinical significance. This showed that 71% of sera from 48 lupus patients had significantly elevated anti-PAI-1 autoantibodies as compared with normal control subjects (P < 0.0001). There was a weak but significant (P < 0.043) correlation with anti-dsDNA autoantibodies. In longitudinal studies, autoantibodies against PAI-1 correlated with clinical parameters measured by the BILAG disease activity index including global clinical score. Our study demonstrates the high frequency of novel autoantibodies to PAI-1 in patients with lupus. The serial clinical correlations with anti-PAI-1 autoantibodies also support the hypothesis that these autoantibodies may play a pathogenic role in lupus.
CitationLupus 2003, 12(8): 617-622
DescriptionMetadata record only
- Measurement of autoantibodies using multiplex methodology in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Hanly JG, Thompson K, McCurdy G, Fougere L, Theriault C, Wilton K
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 31
- High prevalence of autoantibodies to RNA helicase A in Mexican patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Vázquez-Del Mercado M, Palafox-Sánchez CA, Muñoz-Valle JF, Orozco-Barocio G, Oregon-Romero E, Navarro-Hernández RE, Salazar-Páramo M, Armendariz-Borunda J, Gámez-Nava JI, Gonzalez-Lopez L, Chan JY, Chan EK, Satoh M
- Issue date: 2010
- Serum nitrated nucleosome levels in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a retrospective longitudinal cohort study.
- Authors: Croca S, Bassett P, Pericleous C, Alber KF, Latchman D, Isenberg D, Giles I, Rahman A, Ioannou Y
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 7
- Anti-class a scavenger receptor autoantibodies from systemic lupus erythematosus patients impair phagocytic clearance of apoptotic cells by macrophages in vitro.
- Authors: Chen XW, Shen Y, Sun CY, Wu FX, Chen Y, Yang CD
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 31
- ASE-1: an autoantigen in systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Authors: Edworthy S, Fritzler M, Whitehead C, Martin L, Rattner JB
- Issue date: 2000