Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE Discordance between HbA(1c) and fructosamine estimations in the assessment of glycemia is often encountered. A number of mechanisms might explain such discordance, but whether it is consistent is uncertain. This study aims to coanalyze paired glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA(1c))-fructosamine estimations by using fructosamine to determine a predicted HbA(1c), to calculate a glycation gap (G-gap) and to determine whether the G-gap is consistent over time. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS We included 2,263 individuals with diabetes who had at least two paired HbA(1c)-fructosamine estimations that were separated by 10 ± 8 months. Of these, 1,217 individuals had a third pair. The G-gap was calculated as G-gap = HbA(1c) minus the standardized fructosamine-derived HbA(1c) equivalent (FHbA(1c)). The hypothesis that the G-gap would remain consistent in individuals over time was tested. RESULTS The G-gaps were similar in the first, second, and third paired samples (0.0 ± 1.2, 0.0 ± 1.3, and 0.0 ± 1.3, respectively). Despite significant changes in the HbA(1c) and fructosamine, the G-gap did not differ in absolute or relative terms and showed no significant within subject variability. The direction of the G-gap remained consistent. CONCLUSIONS The G-gap appears consistent over time; thus, by inference any key underlying mechanisms are likely to be consistent. G-gap calculation may be a method of exploring and evaluating any such underlying mechanisms.
PublisherAmerican Diabetes Association
DescriptionEpub ahead of print
- Level of glycation gap in a healthy subject.
- Authors: Dziedzic M, Petkowicz B, Michalak M, Solski J
- Issue date: 2012
- Can fructosamine be a surrogate for HbA(1c) in evaluating the achievement of therapeutic goals in diabetes?
- Authors: Narbonne H, Renacco E, Pradel V, Portugal H, Vialettes B
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- No relationship between mean plasma glucose and glycated haemoglobin in patients with cystic fibrosis-related diabetes.
- Authors: Godbout A, Hammana I, Potvin S, Mainville D, Rakel A, Berthiaume Y, Chiasson JL, Coderre L, Rabasa-Lhoret R
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- Performance characteristics and clinical utility of an enzymatic method for the measurement of glycated albumin in plasma.
- Authors: Paroni R, Ceriotti F, Galanello R, Battista Leoni G, Panico A, Scurati E, Paleari R, Chemello L, Quaino V, Scaldaferri L, Lapolla A, Mosca A
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Nontraditional markers of glycemia: associations with microvascular conditions.
- Authors: Selvin E, Francis LM, Ballantyne CM, Hoogeveen RC, Coresh J, Brancati FL, Steffes MW
- Issue date: 2011 Apr