The Aspergillus nidulans stress response transcription factor StzA is ascomycete-specific and shows species-specific polymorphisms in the C-terminal region.
AuthorsChilton, Ian J.
Delaney, C. E,
Fincham, Daron A.
Whitehead, Michael P.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOrthologues of the Aspergillus nidulans gene stzA were identified and characterised in an additional 19 fungi. These orthologues were restricted to, and found within all the Pezizomycotina subphyla of the Ascomycota, for which data are available, but not the Saccharomycotina or Taphrinomycotina subphyla. Intron analysis indicated that both intron loss and gain have occurred in this gene. The orthologous proteins demonstrate considerable size variation (between 663 and 897 amino acids); with almost all this variability accounted for by a hyper-variable region that is carboxy terminal to the zinc finger region. The Hypocrea jecorina orthologue (ACE1) has the binding site 5'AGGCA. There is evidence of competition, or interaction, between the ACE1/StzA and AreA binding sites in promoters of stzA and its orthologues, as well as genes involved in the metabolism of amino acids. The A. nidulans and A. fumigatus cpcA promoters have seven potential ACE1/StzA binding sites, six of which are highly conserved in position. Two very closely positioned sites are conserved across 14 of the 19 fungi analysed. Potential CpcA binding sites (5'TGAC/GTCA) have been identified between -50 and -170bp of the ATG start in the promoters of 16 of the stzA orthologues.
CitationMycological research, 112 (Pt 12):1435-46
- Subtle hydrophobic interactions between the seventh residue of the zinc finger loop and the first base of an HGATAR sequence determine promoter-specific recognition by the Aspergillus nidulans GATA factor AreA.
- Authors: Ravagnani A, Gorfinkiel L, Langdon T, Diallinas G, Adjadj E, Demais S, Gorton D, Arst HN Jr, Scazzocchio C
- Issue date: 1997 Jul 1
- Nitrogen metabolite signalling involves the C-terminus and the GATA domain of the Aspergillus transcription factor AREA and the 3' untranslated region of its mRNA.
- Authors: Platt A, Langdon T, Arst HN Jr, Kirk D, Tollervey D, Sanchez JM, Caddick MX
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 3
- Arginine catabolism in Aspergillus nidulans is regulated by the rrmA gene coding for the RNA-binding protein.
- Authors: Olszewska A, Król K, Weglenski P, Dzikowska A
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- arcA, the regulatory gene for the arginine catabolic pathway in Aspergillus nidulans.
- Authors: Empel J, Sitkiewicz I, Andrukiewicz A, Lasocki K, Borsuk P, Weglenski P
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- Two zinc finger transcription factors, CrzA and SltA, are involved in cation homoeostasis and detoxification in Aspergillus nidulans.
- Authors: Spielvogel A, Findon H, Arst HN, Araújo-Bazán L, Hernández-Ortíz P, Stahl U, Meyer V, Espeso EA
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 15