Maximal voluntary quadriceps strength patterns in Olympic overtrained athletes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeak torques were studied in 10 elite male overtrained athletes and 10 controls matched for sex, age, sport, and performance level. Isokinetic concentric (CON) and eccentric (ECC) maximal voluntary contractions (MVC) of quadriceps muscle were assessed at the angular velocities of 60 degrees, 120 degrees, and 180 degrees.s-1. Sustained isometric MVCs were also measured at knee angles of 10 degrees, 45 degrees, and 80 degrees of flexion. Six seconds after the beginning of each isometric MVC, a 40-Hz electrical stimulation was superimposed on the MVC for a further 6 s. The overtrained subjects developed significantly smaller CON peak torques at 180 degrees.s-1 (P < 0.001), although ECC torques were similar at all three velocities. ECC/CON ratios were higher in the overtrained subjects at 120 degrees.s-1 (P < 0.01) and 180 degrees.s-1 (P < 0.001) compared with the controls. Isometric MVCs at 10 degrees and 45 degrees knee flexion were lower in the overtrained at P < 0.01 and P < 0.05, respectively. Also in the overtrained subjects, at knee angle of 10 degrees, the addition of the electrical stimulation to the isometric MVC produced an increase (P < 0.05) in torque levels. It is suggested that impaired central drive may account for the present findings.
CitationMedicine and science in sports and exercise, 27(4): 566-72
PublisherAmerican College of Sports Medicine
JournalMedicine and science in sports and exercise
- Effects of age on the reciprocal peak torque ratios during knee muscle contractions in elite soccer players.
- Authors: Gür H, Akova B, Pündük Z, Küçükoğlu S
- Issue date: 1999 Apr
- Isokinetic muscle strength and capacity for muscular knee joint stabilization in elite sailors.
- Authors: Aagaard P, Simonsen EB, Beyer N, Larsson B, Magnusson P, Kjaer M
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- Functional eccentric-concentric ratio of knee extensors and flexors in pre-pubertal children, teenagers and adult males and females.
- Authors: De Ste Croix M, Deighan M, Armstrong N
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Gender differences in the circadian variations in muscle strength assessed with and without superimposed electrical twitches.
- Authors: Giacomoni M, Edwards B, Bambaeichi E
- Issue date: 2005 Sep 15-Nov 15
- Effect of electrical stimulation current frequencies on isometric knee extension torque.
- Authors: Kramer JF
- Issue date: 1987 Jan